mactube

How do you remove vinyl ?

I have older ORACAL vinyl which sticks very tough on the side of my car ( Probably, because it has been exposed to the outer elements)

When I try to peel if off? It comes off in little strips,not as a whole. 

Whats the a good strategy or chemical to make it come off in a whole? 

I use a heat gun to soften it up and then peel off while it's warm.

@cart I was thinking about that..  thx .. will try.. might have to try with a hair blow dryer first.. since I don't a a heat gun. 

On 9.4.2017 at 11:35 PM, mactube said:

@cart I was thinking about that..  thx .. will try.. might have to try with a hair blow dryer first.. since I don't a a heat gun. 

Dont use a heat gun. If you dont know what you're doing you'll end up burning the paint

I have heard good things about using a wall paper steamer---but I haven't had to try myself.

I use a temperature controlled heat gun, With the lowest setting usually around 250* or less if you can, , You just want to WARM the vinyl and use a Chizler style squeegee ,Once you have the vinyl warm use the squeegee to catch the vinyl edge you should be able to start peeling it off either in pieces or if your lucky the whole thing...I do it all the time,  I have a wagner heatgun and it starts at 250* but has 2 different blower settings low and high,I use low and keep it away about 10 inches or more.. Like i said ,JUST WARM the vinyl and it will be just fine..Bought mine at ace hardware..Once it is removed ,use rubbing alcohol to clean any residue and your good to go.

Thanks everybody for the feed back! Heat defiantly helped ! We ended up using a hair blow dryer which helps to avid the overeating , but still gets pretty hot, depending on how close you hold it to the vinyl... and avoids the costs of buying a new heat gun. 

• Like 1