ARi

Help Needed! PLEASE

Can anyone vectorise this image for me or give me any tips on how to using inkscape

Fairly new to this but everytime I do this myself the corners seem to round off and when it cuts its not a sharp cut

I need sharp corners and clean straight lines

any help is very very appreciated

GTD Pic.jpg

Thanks for reply 

tried to find font with no luck 

was told it is Memphis medium but that's slightly different 

is there no way to copy the image clearly 

You could use the bezier tool or its equivalent in you design program to just redraw it.  This would be manual tracing as opposed to auto-tracing.  Some one good at it could knock it out in 10 minutes.  Someone not so good, 1-3 hours.  Some in here have a handy dandy commercial program that is pretty good at identifying fonts.  Maybe one of them will offer a font match.

6 minutes ago, ARi said:

Thanks for reply 

tried to find font with no luck 

was told it is Memphis medium but that's slightly different 

is there no way to copy the image clearly 

Did you use the site I just gave you?  Enter the design in Whatthefont.com....I saw a font very close.  and it was not Memphis.  

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you use the site I just gave you?  Enter the design in Whatthefont.com....I saw a font very close.  and it was not Memphis.  

will try that now

If you are going to do this kind of work often, you really should take some time to understand the bezier tool.  It is and has been a staple tool for vector design for decades.  It's usefulness can't be over valued.  You have a simple case that is perfect to practice on and not too complicated and as it is a project you want to complete, it adds some deadline pressure to the incentive.  For me having a deadline does wonders to my output.

Here I copied your bitmap into my design software.  I gave it some transparency for contrast.  I locked it in place to prevent it from moving or being clickable.  I drew around the G starting at a straight part in the G and rough outlining all the way around with the bezier pen.  Then I changed sections to curves, change nodes to cusps maybe deleting extra ones and you end up with a shape.

I still hope someone identifies the font for you and saves you time.  But here is opportunity knocking.  Manual trace always beats autotrace.

bezierG.thumb.png.a00f776af8bb31df61a2c524f42ee166.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gotlyafxee1f6gz/G.svg?dl=0

• Like 3

Wow that looks great 

what software are you using 

how long did that G take you to complete 

and again thank you for helping 

About 5 minutes using CorelDraw.  Inkscape, Illustrator, Affinity Design, Xara, and many cutting software packages that double as design packages would work just as well.  I just did the G, if you are in a pinch I can do the T and D, but I was trying to encourage you to gain a great skill.  What ever vector software your using probably has the tool.  Youtube probably has tutorials on it.  Looking at it, there are some tiny flaws in the G, but I just wanted to illustrate.  Finding the font though, would be perfect with no minor deviations whatsoever. 

The attitude on this forum is we love to see people figure it out for themselves, but don't care to help if someone is struggling.  What vector design software are you using?

• Like 1

I'm using Inkscape 

I cannot thank you enough for this, I will try a cut with it shortly and hopefully will be perfect, I'm so glad a found this forum, you have made me feel so welcome already. Thanks 

I will be trying to replicate myself also as I do want to gain the skills, is it called bezier pen tool?

As many mentioned, when it comes to text it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much faster and more accurate to find the correct font that most of us will expend a lot of effort looking for the right one. You can sometimes take a font that is very close and then just fix the little minor differences too. 

• Like 1