Sign in to follow this  
RachelleM1986

Lynx S-30 Cutter/Plotter? NO IDEA what I got myself into...

I'd previously had a SeikiTech cutter and had a blast doing projects, but when my husband died last year I sold it.  So recently I decided to get on craigslist and look for vinyl cutters.  I found one close by, it was listed as a Lynx S-30 with a box of software and a TON of vinyl, for $250.  So I got it.

4.thumb.jpg.811b2cd54f47fedce88030bca391ff76.jpg5.thumb.jpg.dc1cc29fb2651e89d8c25f9a4fc8e4e2.jpg8.thumb.jpg.ef6fd6d5fbb969ccfc77f11095529815.jpg

I brought it home and started setting it up, but couldn't figure out what software it takes.  About an hour of digging around on Google and I found out I didn't, in fact, have the right software.  On top of that, I only received the power cable and one cable out of 2 it's supposed to come with, which is used for the "Parallel" port, I guess, and according to the "Cutter Setup CD" they advise not to use that port, but rather the "Serial Port." 

1.thumb.jpg.9d580ab56416512cce9a9cac22f77775.jpg58e7dea25ad0b_6cropped.jpg.e7f2ecc6fca15ef21f39d2d2adc57b2a.jpg

The CD shows the Serial Port cable as having 2 heads on one end and only 1 head on the other.  Plus, neither end of the cable I have will plug into either of my computers, but both ends actually plug into both ports on the cutter itself...it's confusing: 

7.thumb.jpg.21dd09e2b0257dadb2211075a66d284d.jpg 

On a side note, the Cutter Setup CD doesn't show how to plug in the cables, and it looks soooooo retro it's not even funny...  This thing could've been made in the early 80's for all I can tell on the CD...  Which is really kind of scary, for many reasons, including software issues, connection issues, reliability, if I have a problem how to contact the manufacturer since they might not even be around anymore...  (P.S. I don't even know who manufactures Lynx cutters...)

I can't find really much of anything online as far as info goes on this cutter, so I don't even know if it will be compatible with either my Windows 7 Home Edition or Windows 10 (which I HIGHLY doubt it on that one), or if I can use Inkscape or if I absolutely HAVE to have CorelDraw, which I don't have, and REALLY don't want to spend that much money on a program I don't want to use.  I'm very well versed in Inkscape and have used it for years for designing, and it's a free program which is nice, considering I really don't have the $400+ to spend.

Very frustrated and discouraged.  Basically what I need to know is 1.) How the ****** do I hook this thing up to my computer, 2.) How do I get a hold of the software, and 3.) Can I use Inkscape with this machine?  Bonus question: What exactly is the Lynx S-30????  (Graphtech, Roland [I'm assuming not haha, couldn't be that lucky], SeikiTech, etc?)  I know there's an S-60 version also, but who manufactures it?  Also, what's the liklihood of reselling this without the software and proper cables??? 

ANY info would be fantastic right about now.  I have projects lined up and I'm itchin to git r' done, it's torture having a cutter I can't use :(

the cable you show is a parallel cable and your computer would need  a parallel port or add a card to your desktop - available at newegg

on the software looks like you have ve-lxi 6.6 and it should have came with a dongle, user code and passcode to make that work - these were private labeled gcc cutter at signwarehouse I believe - not sure it any other drivers in the old signblazer would work or not  - the old standby driver is the roland pnc1000 worked with many of the old plotters

Awesome information, thank you so much guys!!!

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

private labeled gcc cutter at signwarehouse

Dakotagrafx - do I contact Sign Warehouse to attempt to get the dongle, user code and passcode?  Now that you mentioned Sign Warehouse, it does have that label on the box it came in...

14 minutes ago, mb20music said:

Instead of opening up your pc and installing a parallel port card, this parallel to usb adapter might work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-pin-USB-to-Parallel-IEEE-1284-Printer-Adapter-Cable-/331810291771?hash=item4d416f403b:g:ghkAAMXQAF5Rintt

mb20music - thank you for that, that looks like it would work WAY better than what I have haha!!

Omg omg!  Dakotagrafx Okay so I opened the LXI 6.6 disc case and lo and behold, there's a user code and passcode!!! So now all I'm missing is the dongle then...  Had no idea that was the actual software, I was looking for a disc that said Lynx on it somewhere lol.

16 minutes ago, RachelleM1986 said:

Omg omg!  Dakotagrafx Okay so I opened the LXI 6.6 disc case and lo and behold, there's a user code and passcode!!! So now all I'm missing is the dongle then...  Had no idea that was the actual software, I was looking for a disc that said Lynx on it somewhere lol.

If you didn't get the dongle with the software it won't do any good to contact them, they will just offer to sell you new software. The dongle is like the main part and they make sure replacements cost more than the new software

I would try and install the software anyway,  and see if it will work without a dongle  You have nothing to lose.... LXI  is supposed to be like Flexistarter.  I also had a licensed version of Flexistarter that was SOFTKEY.  No dongle,  but you had to be connected to the internet at least every 2 weeks to stay activated.

Welcome to Flexi FAMILY 8.5v1 ... New product shipments will include a new password for softkeyactivation. ... Softkey only allows for one active activation. ..... added to Production Manager for FlexiEXPERT, FlexiLETTER and FlexiSTARTER.

Lxi comes in several versions from apprentice, which is starter up to master which is pro.    I may be wrong but I don't think they offered soft key version until 8.5 or so.

Lesson for all of us -- when buying any used cutter, make sure it's hooked up and RUNNING in front of you before cash changes hands.

Otherwise, you'll probably have an expensive door-stop.

On 4/7/2017 at 2:48 PM, RachelleM1986 said:

Also, what's the likelihood of reselling this without the software and proper cables??? 

Well, that depends on whether or not you feel like telling the next owner that you never got it to work, and is being sold as an expensive door-stop, rather than anything more.

Hopefully, you DO get it to work.

Have you tried SignBlazer? It's like the Multi-Wrench tool of software for pretty much any cutter out there. Dakota mentioned it in his first reply.