amaterasu

Used too much soap, do I need to change vinyl?

Hi, I did a job yesterday, I have a recipe for application fluid that I found online, I altered the recipe, used way too much soap and my vinyl didn't stick so I let it out to dry. Been 24 hours and it still didn't stick but the temperature was very cold when I applied it. Maybe 3 degrees celsius. Is my vinyl ruined? Should I change it or will it eventually dry?

3 hours ago, amaterasu said:

the temperature was very cold when I applied it. Maybe 3 degrees celsius. Is my vinyl ruined?

Isn't that temperature too low for proper installation? Just wondering.

Vinyl is designed to be applied at around 62* F.

It is possible to use RapidTac2 which permits low-temp installs.

2 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Vinyl is designed to be applied at around 62* F.

Oracal 651,751 and 951 can be applied in temperatures as low as 8° C / 46° F according to the technical data sheet.

7 hours ago, amaterasu said:

Hi, I did a job yesterday, I have a recipe for application fluid that I found online, I altered the recipe, used way too much soap and my vinyl didn't stick so I let it out to dry. Been 24 hours and it still didn't stick but the temperature was very cold when I applied it. Maybe 3 degrees celsius. Is my vinyl ruined? Should I change it or will it eventually dry?

You did not mention what kind of transfer tape you used,  only paper transfer tape for wet application..  Seriously you should not even be doing jobs, until you have practiced quite a bit on installing decals and vinyl graphics...Go make some decals for friends/family for free, or cheap and install them to get practice.. It is not as easy as it looks, Those people that make it look easy have installed many decals.. It takes experience.. and practice, practice..  This also just happened this week.(Below)  You guys have to learn the job first, before taking orders. Practice on your own windows, doors, vehicle etc. You are ruining your own reputation.

You also never stated whether you checked the (WHITE) wheels of the carriage head, and made sure they are firmly down in the track..   Those wheels do not even touch the vinyl.   The carriage head holds the blade holder.  I never said check the (BLACK) wheels of the pinch rollers.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You did not mention what kind of transfer tape you used,  only paper transfer tape for wet application..  Seriously you should not even be doing jobs, until you have practiced quite a bit on installing decals and vinyl graphics...Go make some decals for friends/family for free, or cheap and install them to get practice.. It is not as easy as it looks, Those people that make it look easy have installed many decals.. It takes experience.. and practice, practice..  This also just happened this week.(Below)  You guys have to learn the job first, before taking orders. Practice on your own windows, doors, vehicle etc. You are ruining your own reputation.

You also never stated whether you checked the (WHITE) wheels of the carriage head, and made sure they are firmly down in the track..   Those wheels do not even touch the vinyl.   The carriage head holds the blade holder.  I never said check the (BLACK) wheels of the pinch rollers.

Yeah I was afraid this would happen. Im afraid I never learn without screwing up first.  Im not home atm, The wheels that touch the vinyl are white on my cutter so I thought he was talking about those, I will check the other wheels when I go home

Sorry, I didn't know the pinch rollers had white wheels also...Most vinyl cutters have black pinch roller wheels.,  I just saw a picture of a Redsail with white pinch roller wheels...  Ok, so look at the carriage head wheels when you get a chance. 

8 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Sorry, I didn't know the pinch rollers had white wheels also...Most vinyl cutters have black pinch roller wheels.,  I just saw a picture of a Redsail with white pinch roller wheels...  Ok, so look at the carriage head wheels when you get a chance. 

New one on me too, never seen white rubber wheels except in a girls bike, all the cutters I have had the pinch roller wheels are black.   After all this time I still learn something new every week

• Like 2

Just now, Dakotagrafx said:

New one on me too, never seen white rubber wheels except in a girls bike, all the cutters I have had the pinch roller wheels are black.   After all this time I still learn something new every week

I just looked at another place and theirs was white wheels also.  I never paid attention before about that. 

There are several on here that mix their own transfer solution. It isn't that expensive and I personally would not try to blend up a concoction that might effect the life of my work. Each to his own. You never usually get a second chance once you make a big mess, at least not with people who don't know you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildgoose said:

There are several on here that mix their own transfer solution. It isn't that expensive and I personally would not try to blend up a concoction that might effect the life of my work. Each to his own. You never usually get a second chance once you make a big mess, at least not with people who don't know you. 

I refuse to make my own as well.. To much at risk and if its fails then it makes you look bad .I use Rapid Tac app fluid .

12 hours ago, arty-rc said:

Isn't that temperature too low for proper installation? Just wondering.

MINIMUM For oracal 951 its 46* F (7.7 C*) Oracal 751 is the same. 651 is the same as well, going by the spec sheet ..

now if you want to cry - go to grab your rapid tac or rapid tac2 and find out the Amish cleaning woman has used them to clean glass and you are out - I refer to her as the amish terrorist cause she likes to move things from room to room and it is always a search to find anything.  she has been coming to our house for 25 years and hard to tell her to leave now :o

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

now if you want to cry - go to grab your rapid tac or rapid tac2 and find out the Amish cleaning woman has used them to clean glass and you are out - I refer to her as the amish terrorist cause she likes to move things from room to room and it is always a search to find anything.  she has been coming to our house for 25 years and hard to tell her to leave now :o

LOL:lol::lol: