I do not really understand what exactly the features of ltr do. (not a professional nor do I have aspirations to become one)  I have cut and use gimp, inkscape and CAD to design and vectorize.  Does ltr do something that I cannot already accomplish with these other softwares?

-Jon

CUT version does not contain a full graphics library --- all you get are street signs.

Be that as it may, the differences are listed on the FutureCorp. website HERE

I understand what a graphics library is, but reading the list of what LTR does and what gimp/inkscape can do, I don't see any real difference.  How about this:  

Pretend I am an engineer accustomed to working in cad who already is frustrated that the images have to be created and then traced instead of being created ready to cut.  Pretend I am not a graphics artist who understands what raster means or what you do with a node. Let's also imagine that I received a 15% off upgrade coupon that I am trying to determine if there is any value to.  And while we are at it, that I am not interested in cutting vinyl for hire.  

Can you describe any value LTR may have over continuing to use gimp/inkscape?  And just in case it matters my version of cut is the titan version.

the biggest reason I could see in the upgrade would be a program you can design and cut from . . . just imagining here

heck now I am imagining all the people . . . . 

• Like 2

First, the VinylMaster LTR version will not take the place of Gimp. I don't use LTR but my Vm PRO can not preform all the Raster tasks it can so, I doubt 'LTR' can either. Most any 'graphics artist'  will still need Raster capable Graphics Software for many image-based Projects.

If you are, "already is frustrated that the images have to be created and then traced instead of being created ready to cut."

Inkscape creates images in Vector that are 'CUT Ready'... Or are you creating them in GIMP/ Auto Tracing in INKSCAPE/ Save & Open in CUT? If so, you don't necessarily need an up grade in Software but may need an 'upgrade' to your Workflow.

As Dakota mentioned, LTR may eliminate (depending up the extent of your Design Needs & Abilities) your need for using Inkscape and combine and simplify your Vector/ Plotter needs.

So, there are just 2 basic choices to make... If you are satisfied with the Creation & Modification abilities of your present Design Software Selections, Create the Graphics in Vector with Inkscape and/or CUT and Open them in your Vm Cut and be done.

Otherwise, if Un-Satisfied,

2) Pinpoint where the shortcomings with your present systems are and look at the list of LTR attributes and decide if the Upgrade covers it. We cannot ascertain where you are dissatisfied... only you know that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maker of things said:

I understand what a graphics library is, but reading the list of what LTR does and what gimp/inkscape can do, I don't see any real difference.  How about this:  

Pretend I am an engineer accustomed to working in cad who already is frustrated that the images have to be created and then traced instead of being created ready to cut.  Pretend I am not a graphics artist who understands what raster means or what you do with a node. Let's also imagine that I received a 15% off upgrade coupon that I am trying to determine if there is any value to.  And while we are at it, that I am not interested in cutting vinyl for hire.  

Can you describe any value LTR may have over continuing to use gimp/inkscape?  And just in case it matters my version of cut is the titan version.

Well MR. Engineer

If you're comparing VM ltr to Gimp and Inkscape It's going to lose.   Gimp and inksacpe have both been around a long time and will always have more advance features.  

But the 1 thing VM does better then Gimp and Inkscape is cut vinyl. That's something neither of those can do.  

As an engineer I'm sure you're skilled in the fine art of comparing 2 things. But in the end, I'm sure upper management will let you know it's not in the budget because they are cheap bastards and like to watch you suffer. Especially  when the 1st 2 options are FREE and doesn't cost the company any money.  Cost > your happiest.

Sorry I got off track......  It's not worth it..... You should just send the 15% promo code to me and I'll be happy to dispose of it following all regulatory rules.  

• Like 2

As a side note, Go-C... Inkscape DOES have the ability to instruct and run a plotter but, from what I have read,

it is not for the Computer weak and covers just Basic instructions.

It is still under development as Inkscape is Open Source.

Otherwise, your /\ above assessment is Spot-On.

• Like 1

Yeah I read an article a few weeks back about Inkscape developers working on the implementation of cutter/plotter communications. I wouldn't trade my current workflow due to years of research by my cutting utility (SignCut) being already done and a very smooth effortless operation as a user. If I had to buy one program as a cutter owner and deal with that one program I think it would be Either 1. VM Pro or 2 Flexi Expert (not sure of the correct flexi level). I would go with VM just because flexi can't touch it for value to dollars spent. I don't totally love the manual tracing operations in VM (due to my experience and understanding of AI and lack of time learning VM Pro) but the rest of the package like welding and object management are really well laid out for use and work great. Had that been an option when I was starting out I probably would have went that route.

TO the OP, If you are creating in Gimp and then having to go and trace the results you are already loosing some of the true accuracy of your designs. If you have CAD experience then export as a dxf and see if you can convert them straight to vectors. There are some spline to line issues sometimes but they may be surmountable.

• Like 1

Also for a tool by tool difference from Cut to Ltr, Pro and DSR there is a dedicated website for this very question here:

http://fcws3.com/

These are the dedicated webpages:

ALONG WITH EVERYTHING IN CUT – VINYLMASTER LTR ALSO INCLUDES

ALONG WITH EVERYTHING IN CUT+LTR – VINYLMASTER PRO ALSO INCLUDES

ALONG WITH EVERYTHING IN CUT+LTR+PRO – VINYLMASTER DSR ALSO INCLUDES

If you scroll down on any of these pages you will also see the Extras for each level.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input.  I have used vinylmaster about 5 times now.  This is my most recent project, ID stickers for my tackleboxes.  I'm sure my "workflow" would cause many of you to bleed from the eyes in pure agony at the inefficiencies. I assume that most people who do this kind of work utilize higher end software to streamline.  This is my own for fun project so the funds only come from my wallet (ooh! that means I'm my own boss?!).  Anything I create in cad is gravy, vinylmaster opens the .dxf and it's ready to go to the cutter.  It's the artsy things like these lure stickers that are more difficult and I really need to actually learn how to use the software to it's fullest.  I tried watching a couple of the vinylmaster how to videos but the sound level is so low that I even with everything maxed out on my pc I can barely hear the presenter.

I guess downloading the demo and trying the same project would give me the best real world comparison right now.  

IMG_20170330_154639164_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.