So I've had this issue now for some time, and cannot seem to find a way to make it go away.

I have a Laserpoint2 cutter, and running (now) SCALP4.

As you can see from the video what I have going on.  Either the shadow is walking or the top layer is walking.  I cannot figure this out.  On screen they're all lined up as needed, but when I cut, this is what I get.  The spacing is incorrect, and i have to make several cuts to line it up properly.  This particular one I did not use registration marks, but on jobs in the past where I have, I encountered the same issue!  I'm not sure if it's a cutter issue, or software issue, but it's driving me to drink... LOL

Any help would be great.

20170327_100158.mp4

That's tracking. You will have much better registration between layers with the upper end cutters. I used a P-Cut for a couple years before upgrading and was AMAZED at how all my stuff magically started lining up.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

That's tracking. You will have much better registration between layers with the upper end cutters. I used a P-Cut for a couple years before upgrading and was AMAZED at how all my stuff magically started lining up.

I'll have to do more investigating.  I remember looking it up before, and not having much luck.  I'll try again though.

Any suggested workarounds maybe?

2 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

you wouldn't happen to be using scalp to cut with would you?

Yes.  I had similar issues with SCALP3, and now again with SCALP4

well that shoots my theory - I remember someone having problems like that before with scalp and solved it with a version upgrade but you already did that.  will leave it to our scalp experts to answer as I never was a fan of it.  we know the laserpoint2 is capable of doing this so thinking it has to be software related

So here is something odd.  I reinstalled the drivers, and it appears (maybe) to have fixed itself.  Now I'm not 100% sure that is the fixall, but I cut another set of green vinyl, and it appears to have lined up ok.  Very strange.  Thankfully the green vinyl was free, so I'm not worried about that color, it's the chrome that has me concerned.

Take a look, and let me know your thoughts.

20170327_132600.mp4

20170327_132554.thumb.jpg.ae39b9dc44ed8d694f10254ca085ca9a.jpg

Tell you the truth, when I was running my small business on the shoulders of the P-Cut I tried to control the designs in a way that allowed for more freedom to be off a little. Use a little bigger offset for the background and make them offset a little bit too so as to avoid the all to obvious alignment issues. You can't always get away with this but when you can it's not a bad way to get around the issue. If the lettering is all unconnected like your example you can cut up the top layer and install each letter individually for a more precise alignment on a letter by letter basis but that can be a PIA especially if you are trying to build the whole project in the shop for a one layer install. If the outlines are thick enough (also back to initial design control) you can sometimes cut the background as an outline foreground and make the interior color larger so that the overlap is enough and your look will be spot on. I do this often with HTV to deal with garment stretch/shrink during the heat press process.

• Like 1

Ive never had had that problem in scalps, even in the old scalps 3 it never did that. Im guessing the cutter is the problem?

25 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Tell you the truth, when I was running my small business on the shoulders of the P-Cut I tried to control the designs in a way that allowed for more freedom to be off a little. Use a little bigger offset for the background and make them offset a little bit too so as to avoid the all to obvious alignment issues. You can't always get away with this but when you can it's not a bad way to get around the issue. If the lettering is all unconnected like your example you can cut up the top layer and install each letter individually for a more precise alignment on a letter by letter basis but that can be a PIA especially if you are trying to build the whole project in the shop for a one layer install. If the outlines are thick enough (also back to initial design control) you can sometimes cut the background as an outline foreground and make the interior color larger so that the overlap is enough and your look will be spot on. I do this often with HTV to deal with garment stretch/shrink during the heat press process.

I'll have to keep this in mind.  I've watched tons of tutorials, and it seemed tedious, but manageable.  I know more customers will want at least dual layers, so I need to get this figured out quick.

21 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

Ive never had had that problem in scalps, even in the old scalps 3 it never did that. Im guessing the cutter is the problem?

It could be the cutter, it's considered a "budget" cutter.  Maybe I can get enough decal jobs throughout the upcoming year to pay for a better one.  

Try making the design again and ungroup it and then align to center of the page or all to top to make sure they are all leveled across the top,if you know what i mean on that. And see if it cuts it straight or moves it around ..Or do a pen test with the top layer and or the background layer to see if it changes .just an option..

3 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

Try making the design again and ungroup it and then align to center of the page or all to top to make sure they are all leveled across the top,if you know what i mean on that. And see if it cuts it straight or moves it around ..Or do a pen test with the top layer and or the background layer to see if it changes .just an option..

I'll have to give that a shot, if it happens again.  Once I updated the drivers, it seems to have fixed the issue.  I was able to finish cutting the job with no problems.  

16 minutes ago, mfatty500 said:

Are you cutting each color in the same direction on the machine? 

Yes I was.