Sign in to follow this  
rastoma

Please list your PRS, blade height, offset and over cut settings for various materials

It would be cool if this could be an ongoing thread that everyone contributes to so we can build sort of a database for others to use as guide.  I know the blade height can't really be measured in numbers.  But maybe list if you use the half thickness of a credit card measurement, or whatever.

I haven't used my LP II enough to offer details yet because I think I'm having a mechanical issue at the moment.  But I'll add to this list soon when I receive other sign vinyl to experiment with.

So list the brand/type of vinyl, how you set your blade, PRS setting, blade type, offset and how much overcut if any you use.

There are no set in stone numbers, each vinyl cutter will vary, even the same  models..It is all trial and error. And more so with value cutters  Vinyl thickness can be different.   1/2 a credit card thickness is WRONG. way too much blade. ...  This is how to set your blade depth correctly, below.     Blade offset should start at 0.25MM,  then you can adjust at + or minus .05 until it is correct...Adjust blade overcut if the lines/paths are not meeting. As far as speed, cut slow until you learn your machine...No reason to fly thru the vinyl,,

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rastoma said:

It would be cool if this could be an ongoing thread that everyone contributes to so we can build sort of a database for others to use as guide.  I know the blade height can't really be measured in numbers.  But maybe list if you use the half thickness of a credit card measurement, or whatever.

I haven't used my LP II enough to offer details yet because I think I'm having a mechanical issue at the moment.  But I'll add to this list soon when I receive other sign vinyl to experiment with.

So list the brand/type of vinyl, how you set your blade, PRS setting, blade type, offset and how much overcut if any you use.

understanding those settings is your first step.  Skeeter has shown the proper way to set the blade depth and pressure.  on offset it depends on your blade (even a blade as it wears can change offset slightly)   I use a cleancut brand 60 degree blade in all my holders for the graphtec and the roland.  the graphtec is the easiest as the offset is always set to 0 but that is the ONLY cutter that way.   With machines like the MH and LP cutters the difference from cutter to cutter is slightly different and then throw in changes in mainboards over the years of production and that gets thrown way way out there - example the mh in the first run had pressure settings in the low double digits, then with the 2nd version the same pressure was represented by a 3 digit number, and the latest is different yet - 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Blade offset should start at 0.25MM,  then you can adjust at + or minus .05 until it is correct...Adjust blade overcut if the lines/paths are not meeting. As far as speed, cut slow until you learn your machine...No reason to fly thru the vinyl,,

So just test cut some text and see if it cuts properly?  Or is there a design like a test design to use to dial in the settings with?

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

I've tried this when trying to cut flock.  It won't cut the flock unless I hit 400 PRS and run the blade out to over twice the thickness of the flock.

I don't have a LP11, but doesn't your cutter have a TEST option on it?   Most all cutters do. 

As far as the flock.. have you tried to cut 2 or 3 passes , instead of 1 very deep one?  ... I have read several times, that people do that with flock and other thick materials.

I always cut two passes when cutting Flock,just to make sure no lil fiber hang tag is present,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MonkeyMeMe said:

I always cut two passes when cutting Flock,just to make sure no lil fiber hang tag is present,

in another thread we learned that they was pressing HTV Flock onto sign vinyl and cutting that - being the rhinestone queen, have you ever heard of that?

PS This is some of sandy jo's work from a while back she made for me

1a1.jpg

• Like 1

There are some that try to make a rhinestone template material using sign vinyl and a HTV Flock, so that may be what they are trying to do,, pressing a sign vinyl adhesive mateiral does cause terrible vapors that can harm you so just be careful.

• Like 1