I bought a GS24 to replace my other cutter.  I was using Vinyl Master Cut and of course with the GS24 it came with Cut Studio.

Is it just me or is Cut Studio awful?  Maybe I don't know how to use it correctly.

It does not import anything in color so so you to work around that with multiple files or color them in Cut Studio.  The layout editor leaves a lot to be desired.  You can't even turn an object 90 deg. To do perforated cuts you have to cut the object twice.

I would think for a company like Roland would have top of the line software paired with their cutters.  What is everyone else using?  Am I missing something here?

Not sure about VinylMaster 'Cut' but, VinylMaster 'Pro' has Drivers for the Roland GS 24.

Have you checked to make sure you cannot continue to use your current copy of Vm?

• Like 1

cut studio is a plug in for illy and corel - not really a stand alone product

• Like 1

Ahhh... never owned Roland so, didn't know. So it seems most of the OPs concerns could/would/should

be addressed while the art is still in the design stages of Corel or Illustrator?

Though I have a Graphtec Plotter, I don't use their Cut Master software 'cause it's lame...

same problem with Cut Studio?

7 minutes ago, skarekrow said:

Though I have a Graphtec Plotter, I don't use their Cut Master software 'cause it's lame...

same problem with Cut Studio?

same thing ,  essentially they are the production manager part of flexisign and only meant to allow cutting from illy and corel

• Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 11:03 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

cut studio is a plug in for illy and corel - not really a stand alone product

Do you perhaps mean SignCut? Maybe previsou versions weren't but CutStudio is in fact a design program shipped with Roland plotters now. It just is not very user friendly at all.

I just use Corel and still cut with SignCut.

CutStudio_2017-03-30_08-06-52.png

4 hours ago, kayhold said:

Do you perhaps mean SignCut? Maybe previsou versions weren't but CutStudio is in fact a design program shipped with Roland plotters now. It just is not very user friendly at all.

I just use Corel and still cut with SignCut.

no I meant cut studio plug in - then you can cut directly from corel or illy with a Roland and not pay signcut  -  here is the page from roland

CutStudio

Easy-to-use professional software

CutStudio is a plug-in software for Adobe Illustrator (PC and Mac) and CorelDRAW (PC). You can therefore create your design in your familiar design program and send it to CutStudio for cutting.

CutStudio can also be used to easily cut out existing designs and your customers’ designs without any problems. The software supports popular file formats like jpg, bmp, ai and eps. A vector function that creates cutting lines is available for bitmap and jpeg files.

CutStudio can also process scanned images from TWAIN 32 scanners, and supports all TrueType fonts. The software is compatible with Windows and Mac.

• Like 2

kayhold,

The picture you show is CutStudio.  I just bought a new Roland it only came with CutStudio.  No SignCut for me.  They just upgraded it to 3.0 which is a little better but not much.  I can deal with most of its quirks except I have to separate out the colors before I send to CutStudio because it won't import them.  Lame.

What really does not make sense to me is: In CutStudio you can manually change the colors and then cut what you want.  I don't get it.

I don't know why Roland does not give VeraWorks with all of their products.  With CutStudio you can't even do perforated cuts without doing two passes but you can with VeraWorks.

1 hour ago, Ironbar said:

kayhold,

The picture you show is CutStudio.  I just bought a new Roland it only came with CutStudio.  No SignCut for me.  They just upgraded it to 3.0 which is a little better but not much.  I can deal with most of its quirks except I have to separate out the colors before I send to CutStudio because it won't import them.  Lame.

What really does not make sense to me is: In CutStudio you can manually change the colors and then cut what you want.  I don't get it.

I don't know why Roland does not give VeraWorks with all of their products.  With CutStudio you can't even do perforated cuts without doing two passes but you can with VeraWorks.

versaworks is a Raster Image Processing program for printing on the roland printers - it has nothing to do with cutters

On 3/20/2017 at 10:29 PM, Ironbar said:

I bought a GS24 to replace my other cutter.  I was using Vinyl Master Cut and of course with the GS24 it came with Cut Studio.

Is it just me or is Cut Studio awful?  Maybe I don't know how to use it correctly.

It does not import anything in color so so you to work around that with multiple files or color them in Cut Studio.  The layout editor leaves a lot to be desired.  You can't even turn an object 90 deg. To do perforated cuts you have to cut the object twice.

I would think for a company like Roland would have top of the line software paired with their cutters.  What is everyone else using?  Am I missing something here?

why don't you keep using vinylmaster since your are familiar with it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

why don't you keep using vinylmaster since your are familiar with it?

Yup... mentioned it as well. without response /\

1 hour ago, skarekrow said:

Yup... mentioned it as well. without response /\

true = some days I skim too fast and miss things

I can't use vinylmaster because the version I have won't let me use Roland drivers. Also, one advantage to cutstudio is not having to export and reimport. 

Versaworks also let's you cut from what I understand.  Or maybe its versastudio. Either way they should have a better solution.

45 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

true = some days I skim too fast and miss things

Didn't mean you, dgraf... the op didn't answer.

>I can't use vinylmaster because the version I have won't let me use Roland drivers. Also, one advantage to cutstudio is not having to export and reimport.  <

Oh.. and your Vm version doesn't have the required ROLAND driver?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ironbar said:

I can't use vinylmaster because the version I have won't let me use Roland drivers. Also, one advantage to cutstudio is not having to export and reimport. 

Versaworks also let's you cut from what I understand.  Or maybe its versastudio. Either way they should have a better solution.

versastudio is the name that roland attached to the bn-20 printer -  who is feeding you this information?   Roland offers the free plug in for corel or AI - they don't even elude to including any other software and that is why there are so many other software out there like FLexi, vinylmaster, etc.   When you purchase most cutters the vendors often offer things like lower end of the vinylmaster  series,   scalp, etc if you want higher functioning software you have to purchase it.

I just checked my usc version fo vinylmaster and it has the roland drivers - the only one I can think of that may not is the titan version - is that the one you have?

17 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

versastudio is the name that roland attached to the bn-20 printer -  who is feeding you this information?   Roland offers the free plug in for corel or AI - they don't even elude to including any other software and that is why there are so many other software out there like FLexi, vinylmaster, etc.   When you purchase most cutters the vendors often offer things like lower end of the vinylmaster  series,   scalp, etc if you want higher functioning software you have to purchase it.

I just checked my usc version fo vinylmaster and it has the roland drivers - the only one I can think of that may not is the titan version - is that the one you have?

My local Roland dealer was showing me cutting out of Versaworks. He was doing a cut with a perforated cut immediately after without telling the cutter to cut twice.  

From the Roland site: "VersaWorks supports up to four Roland devices simultaneously, including printers, printer/cutters and cutters."

So the point of my original question was to ask what software people were using...what they preferred.

As far as using VM.  I have VMCut.  I have the Roland drivers loaded but VM will not allow me to choose the Roland.  This version of VM came with a USCutter.  I haven't had time to play with it much.  It might cut with the Roland but I could not figure it out very quickly.  Besides, I'm going to sell the software when I sell the cutter so there is no point in me using this version of VM.  If I am going to use VM I'll buy a new copy.  Hince my question, what software do people prefer to use?

I have been with VinylMaster Pro since June of 2014 and extremely happy with it as Plotter/ Cut Software and more than satisfied with its Vector Creation/Modification Tools. A standard issue Pro version (non-US Cutter) of Vm should support as many cutters as you may have and will certainly do perforated cuts (in one pass) and most any plotter related project you can throw at it. Not familiar with 'VersaWorks' but, VinylMaster Pro comes up short on Raster Tools but, in it's defense, it was Designed for Vector-based work. No matter (for me) I use Adobe Photoshop (since the early 90's) for all  my Raster work and  Inkscape (free vector software) and Adobe Illustrator still get a few chores thrown their  way as they has some excellent vector tools as well.

• Like 2