Jesse.karbowski

Help with a knockout design

Hey guys! I'm trying to create a decal using Illustrator. The issue I'm having is, I have an object but I want some font to be inside and some outside of the object. I'm unsure how to get this to cut in a way that it comes out correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

You are probably talking about something like this? Place your text above the back object. You will want to make sure the text and the back object are both compound paths. (Ctrl+8) then use the Exclude Overlapping Shape button in the Pathfinder menu. Some older versions of AI require the use of the alt button at the same time.

Example.png

• Like 2

The other way to get there is to just place them both together on the same color layer and the cutter will cut it all out together anyway and you can weed off the parts you don't want but for clarity I usually build it correctly.

• Like 1

Here's an example of how it's cutting. I've tried offset path, but it makes the path too big. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to come out how I want it, but I'm unable to get it there.

0320171219.jpg

I don't use Illustrator for this type treatment much (VinylMaster Pro... MUCH simplier to do) but, if you're having issues with WildGoose's Easy Method, here's an alternate technique:

Make 2 copies of the lines of Text, stacked and aligned on top of one another and 3 copies of the Shape you're

using to cut them out of. (The Circle in my example)

Expand the Text and Shapes and with the Pathfinder Tool, Subtract one from the other, alternating with the

Shape copies and the Text. In other words, Punch out the one Circle with each line of Text; "Melting" and "Snowflakes" .

Then Punch out the remaining, identical lines of Text with the other, un-punched circle Shape. Helps if you make them all different colors to differentiate which one is which. Tougher to Explain than to do, at least in Vm it is.

MeltingSnowFlakes.png

MeltingSnowFlakes.ai

From your photo, and looking at the cut lines, you have too many paths.  You have the cloudy shape thing as a path, and the letters as a paths.  The cutter is cutting both.  You just want one cut.  You need all of that merged into one path.  I think in Illustrator there is a merge option in the pathfinder tool, (called weld in CorelDraw and Union in Inkscape.) 

The area around the M and the U though needs special attention.  There you probably want subtract or trim.  End the end you want one path with the cloud and the letters for the cutter blade to follow.

oops ..... i had to retract my statement.. having pc issues,,I lost my drag and drop function in windows 8.1. cant move anything on desktop now.. sorry.

That's what I was doing, but when it cuts, it either doesn't give me the full letter through the object, or it does what it shows in the photo and cuts through the object. 

I'm using AI CC 2015, I don't see an Extrude? Would it be Merge?

I'm going to run off a few more tests using your guys' help and see if I can get it. 

A major problem with your design, Jesse, is that your "Cloud" (turd?) has its inner fill, punched out.

You have a negative space there as opposed to a positive space (compare with my solid infield, circle).

The ONLY opposing area to even punch out on your design (provided it was cut completely, which it's not)

is in the stroked, outer wall of the cloud.

edit: In your design, you cannot have negative text on the inside of your cloud... only positive, as your inner cloud is negative space.

I am unclear just what you want in the end. Here are two more examples that have a more similar appearance to your work. You need to be sure your "Pathfinder" window is open.  In the top pull down "Window" go down the list and look for it and make sure it is checked. It will then be on your workspace somewhere. Exclude is probably one of the top rows near the right side. 

In the lower example I did a small path offset and then punched it out of the background circle using "minus front". 

This stuff seems hard for newbies but once you figure it out it's child's play for illustrator. I must point out again that it is important to be sure your line of text is a compound path not a group. Things go awry about 80% of the time when a group of objects is used in these pathfinder operations. Once you make the string of letters a compound path then AI considered it all one object. 

Test2.png

Thanks for all the help! I have some experience with Illustrator and I usually don't have an issue figuring things out on my own, but for some reason this just wasn't coming out how I was picturing it. I did end up figuring it out by using a few of the techniques you suggested and combining them. Don't mind the horrible cutting lines, i was using an old blade :P Thanks again!

0322171614.jpg

• Like 1

On 3.4.2017 at 10:01 PM, Jesse.karbowski said:

Thanks for all the help! I have some experience with Illustrator and I usually don't have an issue figuring things out on my own, but for some reason this just wasn't coming out how I was picturing it. I did end up figuring it out by using a few of the techniques you suggested and combining them. Don't mind the horrible cutting lines, i was using an old blade :P Thanks again!

0322171614.jpg

May I ask what font this is?