Sign in to follow this  
rastoma

LP II making popping sound while cutting is this normal?

Just starting cutting with my new cutter.  I'm using flock to do some rhinestone templates and the cutter is making sounds that's nerveracking.  It's cutting fine.  Nice clean cuts.  The material is rolling back and forth fine.  But every few seconds it making a deep knocking/popping sound.  Sometimes just one.  Sometimes 3-4 really fast.

Since this is my first time using this cutter.... is this normal?  I'm not talking about the servo noises, but distinct knocks/pops.  It sounds like popcorn popping except a log deeper sound.

would it happen to be when the carriage goes up and down at the end of a cut?

No.  That is a distinct pop/click.  I should have mentioned I ruled that out.  This is a deeper sound.  And like I mentioned sometimes it's 3-4 pops fast, like you're popping bubble wrap, but loud.

does it affect the cuts like the belt slipping or a knurl roller set screw loose - both of those would make really bad cuts

Is this homemade template flock? Are you putting it on a mat to cut or cutting direct on to paper?

If this is Homemade template flock you are hitting air pockets where your material has not bonded together, when you were trying to create it, and when the blade or rollers hit it it is popping, releasing the air in the empty holes where the adhesive has not cured,to the other carrier, if this is happening you will also not cut through both layers, and most likely the flock part will get stuck in your blade holder as it lifts up .

• Like 1