hi, im new to this vinyl work. i have an rv that needs some new decals , i am going to use 651,what i need are some step by step instructions. also can i use knife tape to cut it, it has inside and out side curves.  thanks for the help

knifeless tape is a great way to do that but use either 751 or 951 for the body panels on your rv - 651 is calendared and likely to shrink. a cast material won't shrink and is what oracal recommends for body graphics

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

knifeless tape is a great way to do that but use either 751 or 951 for the body panels on your rv - 651 is calendared and likely to shrink. a cast material won't shrink and is what oracal recommends for body graphics

I Fully agree with Dakotagrafx-------I would definitely not use 651 for this .It will get tons of sun and it will not last like 751,951..

You can use the knifeless , you just better make sure the design you want to cut is how you want it, Once you use knifeless its all over..versus using a cutter to do it and getting perfect . Easy to do if your able to make each design fit on a cutter which can be done sometimes, especially if the seams or break points on the rv  helps do that where it can be split for each section.

Very first thing you said "I'm new"

Since you're new with very little if any experience with laying vinyl I would suggest you skip sign vinyl and get a good wrap vinyl with air release channels.   You're looking to apply a never large piece of vinyl and it's NOT easy if you don't have any experience. You'll get wrinkles and air bubbles, guaranteed.   With the wrap vinyl and some knifeless tape you have a fighting chance with the air release channels to get it looking decent.   

It's alot more expensive but it'll come out looking alot better.  

I would suggest not using 651 for body panels as well, I would jump straight to a product designed for that use. 3M controltac is much easier and user friendly.

7 minutes ago, gmorrell said:

I would suggest not using 651 for body panels as well, I would jump straight to a product designed for that use. 3M controltac is much easier and user friendly.

This thread is 2 years old - thanks for the advice.  can you give us a little background on your experience?  did you purchase a plotter from USCutter?

2 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

This thread is 2 years old - thanks for the advice.  can you give us a little background on your experience?  did you purchase a plotter from USCutter?

Purchasing a new one this weekend, I've been in the Sign world for about 6 years now just thought I'd share some information for future viewers. Old thread but not closed to new viewers.

thanks, we don't  close threads unless there is a spat going on or things get out of bounds :)