robwalker

Graphtec 8600-130 blade - help pls!

Hi everybody, good morning. My organization recently bought me a new plotter/cutter. Everything is going smoothly, until recently i noticed the cuts or edges are not smooth and crisp as they should be. The blade is barely protruding from the carrier,  so the pressure is pretty low. The machine is new and I just changed the blade. I use Flexi 12 w/ Graphtec 8600-130

A few things I've tried with no effect : check the blade for damage, retry old blade (from a working machine), tried adjusting overcut settings, changed pressures / blade depths

I know the blade spins freely, but it seems obstructed slightly, others' have suggested applying a drop of oil to the blade tip, but this hasn't occured in 5 years

After googling this yesterday, I saw mentions of adjusting the blade offset, but I'm leary and imagine 0.0 is sorta the default or go to,

WP_20170315_08_07_21_Pro.jpg

Quote "The blade is barely protruding from the carrier, so the pressure is pretty low" Just FYI The two have no correlation. Blade depth has no effect on Cutting depth other than should the pressure be high enough to force the blade down far enough that the blade holder would then contact and start dragging on the vinyl. Not an altogether unusual misconception with new cutter owners to think that they extend or retract the blade to adjust the cut depth but this is not correct. 

My previous comment not necessarily any answer to your current cutting issue. I agree with dwp99 that looks like some major offset issues. I am not a Graphtec owner but I believe the standard setting for them is zero offset. As I understand his comment and others I have read the Graphtec plotter takes care of the offset through the "Condition" setting options on the cutter itself. Your cutting program may even be adding offset without you being aware, not sure which program you use.

that unit definitely has a blade offset problem.  you are correct that with the graphtec 0 is normal setting but you state you are using flexi 12 which can set the offset on the cutter thru the program so you might want to check your program manager settings for a different offset being set there.  

did you happen to use the same degree of blade as the one you removed?