rastoma

Which is better SCALP or VinylMaster Cut?

I recently bought a bundle from USCutter on Ebay.  The auction made it appear that both pieces of software were included.  I did not receive PSN's for either piece of software when I received everything.

So I first asked for the PSN for VinylMaster Cut.  I then remember that the auction showed both pieces of information and it looked like both were included.  So I contacted support to ask for the SCALP PSN and was told 'you already picked'.

Well, I read the fine print and it does say there is a choice.  I was never asked before the package was sent.  When asked about it support said most people throw away the software card because they don't see a CD.  But if I was SUPPOSED to choose which piece of software I wanted, why did they not ask me before they shipped everything?  Instead, it was the weekend, which is the only time I had free, and found out I can't use the cutter that I've been drooling over all week.

But they shipped it.  And I inadvertently CHOSE one of the software packages.  I haven't installed it yet so the PSN hasn't been used.  I had read further in the description for SCALP that's good for rhinestone templates which are something I wanted to get into, no exclusively but just in addition to everything else.  So I asked would that be a better choice than VinylMaster Cut.  Support wrote back saying I can do rhinestone templates with both pieces of software and they don't offer design support.

So all that said..... I hate to ask this same question in both forums, but hopefully, some of you here have used both programs.  Which program is 'better'?  If SCALP does anyone know of a manager or someone I can talk to see if I can get SCALP instead since I haven't activated/used the PSN for VMC?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=302226062190&view=all&tid=1358086887020

At the top of the main description is says "These packages are offered at a discounted prices, and include the following items:"

And those following items list VinylMaster Cut AND Sure Cuts A Lot Pro.  It doesn't say anywhere 'to choose'.

The only part that they can get out of giving both is above that in small letters that they offer a software choice.  But then list the package contents as having both pieces of software.

So I either am owed both or they need to let me pick SCALP if it indeed is better.

And if complain too much that the auction clearly states both pieces of software are included,  I'm afraid they won't help me with the stand for the cutter.  It's not wide enough, though the cutter is sturdy, the brackets bend at a slight unusual shape when tightening down the screws.

I can't get the link to go anywhere....   This purchased item information is no longer available.

• There are a number of reasons why this information isn't available. The most common reason is that item details for purchases are not kept for more than 90 days.

So which cutter did you purchase?   Maybe I could look at completed listings..If I knew what I was looking for, and when did you purchase? 

try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302226062190?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=601067366724&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When I look at it, it says "the listing below has been updated by the seller, but you can see the item you purchased here", so I gave you that second link I clicked.

If that link doesn't work type in 302226062190 in the search box on Ebay and that will take you to the auction.

It does say the package includes your choice of cutter, and lists both pieces of software as being included in the package, not that it includes your choice of software.

Ok  you had a choice,,  So you should have left your choice in message to seller when you made your purchase.... 

They are telling you what each software works in  Mac and or  PC,  So make a choice..  Your choice would go in message to seller at purchase...   Many sellers use Message to seller also for color choice of decals,  or other items that need a choice being made.   You choose later...

"We've included software choices: VinylMaster Cut (recommended for PC) and Sure Cuts A Lot Pro (recommended for MAC. 
Please note: VinylMaster Cut DOES NOT work with MAC computers, while SCAL Pro works with both MAC and PC computers.

The auction doesn't say that.  It clearly showed both pieces of software are included.  They said, "the following items are included".  It didn't say "pick from the list below".  I guarantee you Ebay would side with me if I decided to file a complaint.  But I don't want to do that.  They've been nice and respond quickly to my inquiries and I want to have a good business relationship with USCutter.... But software is a very big part of this package... if I could afford to just buy anything else I wouldn't have needed to buy a value cutter to begin with.  I don't have the money for that.  And I think they should give more thought into helping me since I've already pointed out that the auction is contradictory.  

But besides that, why would they ship it out if I didn't let them know.  Common courtesy and customer service would dictate they needed to ask me.  And when I asked about it they just send me a PSN for VinylMaster Cut without verifying which piece of software I wanted.

So is VinylMaster Cut a bad choice?  Does SCALP do anything it can't?

You get this:   Vinyl Master Cut OR  SURE CUTS A LOT PRO   COPIED FROM AD...

ITems that come with laserpoint II are
  • NEW Vinyl Cutter
  • Floor Stand (Optional for 25" cutter)
  • VinylMaster Cut or Sure Cuts A Lot Pro

You didn't even look at the auction I sent you.  And you haven't read what I've typed.

They did NOT choose for me.  If they had, they would have shipped the PSN for whatever THEY CHOSE with the package.

When the auction BOTH states they've included software choices AND that the package includes both pieces of software, then that's called a contradiction.  

I'm not trying to get something out of them that I'm not owed.  I'm not trying to get both pieces of software.  I'm trying to make sure I get the best piece of software.

In this forum, they list SCALP as having features unmatched by any other software.  Nowhere on this forum do they say "but we recommend this only if you have a Mac".

So back to my main question, is SCALP better than VinylMaster Cut and if you think so why?

like I said I'm not trying to scam them.  I'm not trying to get BOTH.

Will VCM be good enough for me is all i wanted to know :)

The auction that I am looking at has these dates and user IDs  Is this your auction?  This is not the updated auction, 

User ID Variation Price Quantity Date of Purchase s.gif
s.gifs.gif a***as.gif( 5 ) s.gifNew eBay Member (less than 30 days) Model: 25" with stand (PC) US $386.99 1 Feb-28-17 13:01:28 PST s.gif
s.gifs.gif d***ls.gif( 6 ) Model: 31.5" With Stand (PC) US $431.99 1 Feb-27-17 11:30:46 PST s.gif
s.gifs.gif o***os.gif( 698Feedback score is 500 to 999) Model: 25" with stand (PC) US $386.99 1 Feb-26-17 22:38:41 PST s.gif
s.gifs.gif e***ys.gif( 93Feedback score is 50 to 99) Model: 31.5" With Stand (PC) US $431.99 1 Feb-26-17 18:01:52 PST

MZ Skeeter - thank you so much for your time.  I know you're really trying to help me and I so appreciate it.  I just feel so lost.  I haven't installed any software, I haven't powered up the cutter yet.

Before I install what I was given I'm just scared I got the wrong piece of software since I don't get to try both.

No I'm not listed in that auction.  My Ebay username is rastoma as well.

But you're right about only 1 piece of software.  I'm not worried about that.  My intention was not  to try and get both pieces of software.  I just didn't actually get to knowingly pick and I'm afraid I picked wrong.

I tried Scalp as a demo.  Didn't like it at all.  Too much like a clunky craft software.  Vinyl Master on the higher version is more like a real software...  Cut more a basic version.  I use Flexi software and have for 10 years.   

To answer your question, If you use PC computers I would recommend VM so it sounds like you picked my fav of the two already HOWEVER The cut version is limited in  abilities. The VM platform is a really good program and in the upper levels is a superior value to just about anything out there in a bang for the buck scenario. They also have a tech here on the forum who answers a lot of newbie questions and gives a lot of good info. That being said there are several here who also get good results with SCALP but many (Primal for sentence) like the newest iteration of the program. I tried out a beta version of SCALP when it first surfaced and found it lacking. If you use mac (and I do) then you will probably be happier to get the SCALP or you'll have to run parallels or something to get the VM to run and there could be glitches that way.

Know this. If you get to the level that you can't design what you want with the program you can also download a Inkscape for free. This is a full function vector design program and I believe BOTH VM Cut and SCALP will cut from Inkscape. 

Its a matter of preference and choice of software,,I have my own opinion but hey lol.....I tried Vm and tried Scalps 4 pro and went with Scalps instead... Just saying lol...

I've used both and prefer the vinylmaster - scalp is software that was designed as a cruicut hack - and had to be taken out of the market after being sued by cricut - then it reappeared with drivers for other cutters after the suit - it has proven in many instances to be buggy (usually cured with an update)   I know of one member that really likes it - the vast majority prefer vinylmaster as it was developed for the sign/decal business and is more like the more expensive vector software programs.  I believe the main reason it is even still offered is that it is mac compatible.

just my 2  -   

As skeeter pointed out the auction you linked to says 

Items that come with laserpoint II are
  • NEW Vinyl Cutter
  • Floor Stand (Optional for 25" cutter)
  • VinylMaster Cut or Sure Cuts A Lot Pro

In your opening statement you said "So I first asked for the PSN for VinylMaster Cut"   

at that time you made a choice - 

for the record I do not work for uscutter and am not paid by them - I volunteer to help on the user forum
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

Its a matter of preference and choice of software,,I have my own opinion but hey lol.....I tried Vm and tried Scalps 4 pro and went with Scalps instead... Just saying lol...

Can you give us your thinking on why?

17 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Can you give us your thinking on why?

After looking into Vm and scalps, I felt Vm was more Windows 3.1 version. I tried it for about 2 weeks and just could find what i wanted etc,It was just hard for me to work around ,And when i tried Scalps,everything just seem to pop out ,it was right there ,simple to find and get things done,.,,,There are several people on here who wrote me asking my opinion between the two and i said just download scalps and try or i can show you by viewing my Pc live view and they had VM. After them seeing how scalps worked  etc they went with sclaps, And they had never used a cutter program before... So there you have it lol... My 1 cent out of a dollar lol. I still have tried Vm and it just doesnt work for me and ended up deleting it recently ,like i said earlier, its a matter of preference and choice,, I just feel scalps is more user friendly and simple..    Thanks

Addded info.

I have used Scalps for signs,banner work, Decals, Lettering,layers, etc,Heatpress T-shirts etc ..I dont do printing if that makes a difference in Vm..lol

Edited by Primal Decals
added info

scalp is easy for crafters to start quickly on - vm is designed more like the other software designed specifically for sign/decal making.  but that is why they make different software for different preferences and expectations

• Like 2

to help out with more .>goto my website  and see what i have cut using scalps 4 pro.  http://www.pippindecals.com/

Oh and everyone always asks me about the Metal Mulisha lol. I did not cut that , i installed it .i have tons of people asking me for it and i say buy it on ebay or amazon and i will install it for a fee lol......  Oh and since your there check out my photography i guess lol..

Edited by Primal Decals
updated info