amaterasu

Editing artboards in illustrator for cutting

2 things....

Forgive me on this , there has been so much discussed on here lol and im trying to keep up . is the tip of blade ( if you can tell) a sharp edge or does it look like its maybe chipped or flattened or rounded off . If the tip by chance went to deep at any one point of testing it could of broke the tip off etc . Just a possibility to check.the blade should look super sharp like my pictures if you can see it ....If you have another blade, change it out without messing up the depth(if its correct.) 

That paper its resting on is a sticky note to show you the blade tip sharpness and how far its sticking out.........Thats my original blade im still using for the past 2 yrs...

This is how i did my first blade setup using a sticky note pad. It would cut thru the first piece of paper and barely cut thru the second layer If it cut thru to the 3rd i was to deep.It only takes a fraction of a hair to make an adjustment,. This is the same way you do it on a piece of vinyl .I chose paper my first time..  I have not changed my depth since in the holder.

17623030_10209514630604844_2049805046_o.jpg

17668611_10209514630964853_764763844_o.jpg

You have to remember it is less blade, the force will do the cutting thru the vinyl. It is only 2-3 mil.  So you could even try less than what you have and a little more force., and replace the blade and start new..

@MZ SKEETER    When i go back and look at His/her image of the blade, To me it looks like the tip is rounded etc or its not a 45 and its a 30* blade? I went to uscutters page and pulled up 3 images .and if im wrong correct me on this. But it looks like a 30* blade from greenstar and to me it would put less blade out and cause the dull part of the blade to cause the issue? Im just taking a shot at this.. could this cause part of or all the problem if the blade is in correct for the material its being tested on?   the 2nd and 3rd  images past  amaterasu are greenstar 45 and then a 30 degree blade . Followed by A roland compatible 45*..

IMG_0561.thumb.PNG.d66bdc4b84d7c90d3e4e0bffa1148495.PNG.d70f478584fcfc9a75357171b541e248.PNG58dc6850ae3b6_GREENSTAR45.thumb.png.10cf4109e4337f56263b41c59391de64.pngGreenStar-30-Blades.thumb.jpg.9408fe1318660308dc29a0302d53655f.jpg58dc68568d0e7_RolandCompatibleCementedCarbideBlades-45Degrees.thumb.jpg.3e254fb2efba6ecb999b0935539aff45.jpg

I thought the blade tip was broke.  I asked a few times,  got no reply back on that..They need to put it under a magnifying glass. . They don't usually send 30 degree blades. that would be a tint blade.   a 45 degree, yes. ..

4 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I thought the blade tip was broke.  I asked a few times,  got no reply back on that..They need to put it under a magnifying glass. . They don't usually send 30 degree blades. that would be a tint blade.   a 45 degree, yes. ..

@amaterasu?  answer question above from MZ Skeeter.

Ya im not sure about seeing where this was a new or used  purchase or not ,If it wasnt ,maybe wrong blades bought or bad blade issue? Im starting to get readers blindness lol.. Hopefully we can get this pin pointed so they can get cutting .Im sure they are stressing out as well lol..

6 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

Ya im not sure about seeing where this was a new or used  purchase or not ,If it wasnt ,maybe wrong blades bought or bad blade issue? Im starting to get readers blindness lol.. Hopefully we can get this pin pointed so they can get cutting .Im sure they are stressing out as well lol..

This is a brand new Redsail that they spent over $1300 US  in Norway.   Not much more I can do...  So pretty much like the MH cutters here.    Time for them to contact their tech....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

2 things....

Forgive me on this , there has been so much discussed on here lol and im trying to keep up . is the tip of blade ( if you can tell) a sharp edge or does it look like its maybe chipped or flattened or rounded off . If the tip by chance went to deep at any one point of testing it could of broke the tip off etc . Just a possibility to check.the blade should look super sharp like my pictures if you can see it ....If you have another blade, change it out without messing up the depth(if its correct.) 

That paper its resting on is a sticky note to show you the blade tip sharpness and how far its sticking out.........Thats my original blade im still using for the past 2 yrs...

This is how i did my first blade setup using a sticky note pad. It would cut thru the first piece of paper and barely cut thru the second layer If it cut thru to the 3rd i was to deep.It only takes a fraction of a hair to make an adjustment,. This is the same way you do it on a piece of vinyl .I chose paper my first time..  I have not changed my depth since in the holder.

17623030_10209514630604844_2049805046_o.jpg

17668611_10209514630964853_764763844_o.jpg

Yeah sorry for asking so many questions. :D The blade I have looks sharp but I think your tip is wider. Maybe Im not adjusting the blade right? Am I not supposed to use force too see how deep it cuts? When using force it cuts through the vinyl and barely scratches the backing

25 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

I didnt buy the blades. I received 3 blades with the cutter. 

I think they are all 45 degree blades

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

Just saying, you use the least amount of blade possible, the force will cut the vinyl.  You could back off until it doesn't cut it, then you know where you are.  It is only 2-3 mil.  Not thick at all. It only takes the very tip to cut. 

The offset is said right on the box so the 0.25mm should be a perfect starting point. If it's needing further adjustment it can be dialed in from there. I know we keep harping on the blade depth or blade showing but that is the single most common issue. You would be surprised at how many issues it causes to have it sticking out too far even through at the end of the day the pressure of downforce applied is what decides how deep it cuts. Having too much out is a BIG DEAL. Thus the scrutiny. When I am cutting I kneel down and watch the cut from the side at eye level and make sure only the tiniest gap is visible. The blade holder shouldn't actually touch and drag on the vinyl but just about. Skeeter said draw the blade in until it won't cut through the vinyl. This will tell you that you are just a bit too far. After a few blade changes you soon learn what you are looking for. Higher end blades and holders are more precise and can probably fudge this a bit but I still do it right even on my $3500 Summa. 

I would insert a brand new blade. I bet your busted a tip at some point or rounded it off. It doesn't take much. 

Looking at your pics. Hard to tell for sure like you said but I would say a broken or dulled tip forcing its way through. It's sort of like trying to cut bacon with a dull knife.  I think you might need a bit more offset too. The corners in the silver pic all look rounded except the starting/stopping one. If it's not the tip it could be a roller or carriage issue that isn't keeping your blade assembly held steady. Could still be a software issue too. 

Just for your future reference, once you get this all figured out and working. Typical blade life for a quality blade like a Clean-cut or an actual Roland blade will be easily 6 months of steady cutting. A year if you just piddle around with the machine. No one told me that when I started and I wondered. The cheap knock off blades are another story and fail much more quickly. I treat my blades with care and when I decide to change I often save ones that are still working and use them when I decide to cut something that will probably damage a good blade (Like Glitter HTV). 

5 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Looking at your pics. Hard to tell for sure like you said but I would say a broken or dulled tip forcing its way through. It's sort of like trying to cut bacon with a dull knife.  I think you might need a bit more offset too. The corners in the silver pic all look rounded except the starting/stopping one. If it's not the tip it could be a roller or carriage issue that isn't keeping your blade assembly held steady. Could still be a software issue too. 

Just for your future reference, once you get this all figured out and working. Typical blade life for a quality blade like a Clean-cut or an actual Roland blade will be easily 6 months of steady cutting. A year if you just piddle around with the machine. No one told me that when I started and I wondered. The cheap knock off blades are another story and fail much more quickly. I treat my blades with care and when I decide to change I often save ones that are still working and use them when I decide to cut something that will probably damage a good blade (Like Glitter HTV). 

I changed the tips, lubricated it, and pushed it so much in that It barely cuts on surface of the vinyl, then I used max pressure to make it cut through the vinyl and this is the result

IMG_0575.JPG

I re adjusted it again and got these test results, they are by far the best results Ive had but it still struggles with the S 

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

From now on, Im going to cut only the S and keep adjusting the blade until I get a perfect cut.

I can't believe it, I cut only the S this time with the EXCACT SAME settings and it cut it almost perfectly. Why does it mess up when cutting the whole file?

Are you sure that the white wheels of the carriage head are firmly down in the track?   And that your blade holder is in the carriage head arm correctly?   You need to first be able to make a square correctly,  Until that, you won't cut right. If that was a square in the picture above, your way off. And if you have to use MAX pressure to cut then you do not have enough blade out. Get down eye level and watch it cutting. Look over the carriage head and make sure there are not any cracks in the plastic holding the blade holder. The carriage head should be solid in the track,  There are also some very good videos for REDSAIL on youtube.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7TcHlUlGU

Try flipping the design over and see of the glitch area on the S stays right there. I think you got a heap.

On 30.3.2017 at 4:25 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Are you sure that the white wheels of the carriage head are firmly down in the track?   And that your blade holder is in the carriage head arm correctly?   You need to first be able to make a square correctly,  Until that, you won't cut right. If that was a square in the picture above, your way off. And if you have to use MAX pressure to cut then you do not have enough blade out. Get down eye level and watch it cutting. Look over the carriage head and make sure there are not any cracks in the plastic holding the blade holder. The carriage head should be solid in the track,  There are also some very good videos for REDSAIL on youtube.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7TcHlUlGU

Yes and in fact they are so firm that they create permanent wheel marks on all of my foils :mellow:. I have adjusted my blade several times now, and the results I get now is although not how it should be, and weeding still is hell, it is at least better than nothing. I think I will let it stay like this until I can figure out how to fix it, I dont want to risk making it worse.

On 30.3.2017 at 7:43 PM, Wildgoose said:

Try flipping the design over and see of the glitch area on the S stays right there. I think you got a heap.

What does it mean that it got a heap? This actually happened again when I was cutting the name Haircules, it happened with the C, then I cut only the C without even changing blade position and it cut it out without the problem.

Did any one mention slack?   If you have a roll on the cutter, unwind it enough that the cutter never has to pull on the roll to unwind material.  The machine having to yank on the roll can cause errors.  Too, maybe you have a static electricity problem.  You could make sure the unit is grounded.  Some people put clothes dryer sheets into the rolls of vinyl to reduce static.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, amaterasu said:

Yes and in fact they are so firm that they create permanent wheel marks on all of my foils :mellow:. I have adjusted my blade several times now, and the results I get now is although not how it should be, and weeding still is hell, it is at least better than nothing. I think I will let it stay like this until I can figure out how to fix it, I dont want to risk making it worse.

What does it mean that it got a heap? This actually happened again when I was cutting the name Haircules, it happened with the C, then I cut only the C without even changing blade position and it cut it out without the problem.

you are looking at the pressure rollers that will leave marks on the vinyl as they are all going to do . .  . what skeeter is referring to is the big part that holds the blade holder that goes back and forth - it has wheels that ride on a track and have been known to come off the track during transport . . .

7 hours ago, dcbevins said:

Did any one mention slack?   If you have a roll on the cutter, unwind it enough that the cutter never has to pull on the roll to unwind material.  The machine having to yank on the roll can cause errors.  Too, maybe you have a static electricity problem.  You could make sure the unit is grounded.  Some people put clothes dryer sheets into the rolls of vinyl to reduce static.

Good Call Dcbevins...Never thought of that again. lol

14 hours ago, amaterasu said:

What does it mean that it got a heap? 

Heap of donkey do-do. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dcbevins said:

I will try with dryer sheets