Sign in to follow this  
MJR08010

What type of printer do I need?

Hello Everyone,

For the longest time I've been designing vinyl patterns while having a vendor fulfill orders for me. It's come to a point where I'd rather fulfill the orders myself and increase my margins. Question is... what type of printer do I need in order to continue business?

What I'm looking for:

• The ability to print at least 4 (12"x12") squares at a time horizontally across.
  • Multi-color printing ability
  • Good for a beginner like me

Thanks in advance for your help folks.

Mike

I'm leaning toward Roland so do you have any recommendations on reputable dealers? Or should I buy from them directly?

Check Roland website with your zip code and it should tell you the closed dealer.

Couple more questions:

1) I'm eyeing down two models: the VersaCAMM VSi series or the new TrueVis SG series. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? I don't notice a difference from their website other than one (TrueVis) is newer technology but the other (VersaCAMM) is their best seller. Thoughts?

2) I'm going to print 12"x12" sheets across a 54" roll (4-12"x12" sheets will fit) and I know the cutter than comes with the printer doesn't actually cut all the way through the vinyl so I'll need to devise another, more efficient way to cut the sheets from the roll other than scissors / exacto knives. Any ideas?

Thanks!

not sure on the difference a trade show would be a great way to see them in person.  one consideration I took in going with the sp series is it uses an older head design but those heads are $700 compared to $1600-$2400 for some of the new ones - a big consideration as I have replaced several heads in the past 7 years.

And as you said before, replacement parts for older machines is not difficult to do with Roland, right? As an entry-level user, I'm leaning towards the more affordable option as I get my feet wet. 

When print jobs are complete, is the user expected to take a pair of scissors to cut off the job from the rest of the roll? (Noob question). 

to a point as we have seen a few people blow $2500 boards when replacing heads - many of us have done it successfully but those few didn't feel so spiffy after the price of the printer , heads and then the board and if the board isn't replaced right away the new heads are trashed and need replaced again.  I had 2 years of formal electronics repair training and am very cautious.  as long as you know what you are jumping into dive in head first.

I bought my last 2 printers hardly used that needed some work from people that couldn't support them - this last one had like 30ish hrs on it total if I remember correctly.

So now I'm adding another option: HP Latex 110. Unfortunately, the RIP software isnt compatible with Mac, but getting a Windows computer is cheap these days anyways. Any thoughts on this particular model? I'm going around reading reviews.

in about 3 eyars when I start traveling more I will either go latex or quit printing - so I don't think it is a bad option - you will need to hire an electrician to install the outlet for the latex but that is a one time deal

Ok, I've been curious about a latex printer.  What kind of longevity do you see with the ink compared to Eco-Sol? Does it stand up better/worse outside?  What benefits are you seeing over an eco-sol printer?

1 hour ago, FrznFire07 said:

Ok, I've been curious about a latex printer.  What kind of longevity do you see with the ink compared to Eco-Sol? Does it stand up better/worse outside?  What benefits are you seeing over an eco-sol printer?

From what I have read longevity of prints is very good, benefit is the heads don't clog like the eco solvent, downside is you are not going to get parts for the printers too far down the road so they are use and dispose , unlike the Roland's and mimakis that you can get parts for 8-10 years later