zanekiser

Confused about printing on vinyl

As the title says I'm a little confused about printing on vinyl and I can't seem to find anything that really answers my specific questions.

I have FDC 4200 vinyl, now it says that it can be printed on vie heat transfer, now as far as i know laser printers use heat, would I be able to print on this with a laser printer or would I need something that used ribbon? 

Also, I'm going to be getting a HP Photosmart B9180, If I were to switch to vinyl that could be Inkjetted on, is this a good printer? Would i need to get the pigment ink for it?

Thank you in advance.

fdc is referring to the thermo resin type of printing process like the gerber edge uses - heat transfer is generally used to describe another type of vinyl used for garment decorating.
while you can get an aqueous printable vinyl for use with pigmented ink you will need to laminate to get a year life out of it outdoors and really is more for personal use - if you plan on selling the products with a longer lifespan outdoors look at eco solvent , latex or thermo resin printers - all of which will cost several thousand dollars  - there is no cheap way out to make a product that is truly durable outside for commercial sales

do you have suggestions for ink jet printable vinyl and a laminate suggestion? 

thank you very much for clearing things up for me!!

I will leave that to some of the people that use those products - I personally use a roland eco solvent printer for everything - have had decals on my old truck for 4+ years that looked like new when I sold the truck = with no lamination.

• Like 1

I have used the Papilio. No comparison to a solvent print job on good vinyl.

I found Papilio website awhile back and meant to ask about their products. I ordered cartridges and ink for my Epson months ago. I google the subject whenever I have spare time. I think that was 2 mins worth in feb.