Sign in to follow this  
Mugs n Stuff

CUTTING CELLOPHANE ROLLS (or not as is the case!)

You know your in trouble when you have to ask..... so here I am !!  NEWBIE so please go easy !!

I bought a MH1351, using Corel and Sign Cut Pro 1 to ONLY cut 80cm wide cellophane from rolls into sheets of 80cmx51cm

All I want it to do is basically trim across the whole width of the roll, advance 51cm then repeat (repeating like a "print X copies" for example)

Trial 1) So, I set it to cut a 100cm wide x 51cm deep rectangle, should cover it right!  Here is the problem... As the blade starts to reach the cellophane (50g pressue, 10mm/s speed) it catches and bunches up every time,,,,,, unsuccesful cut !!

Trial 2) So I changed it to cut a 75cm x 51cm rectangle out of the film, would work for me also..... it bunches up on the vinyl moving out (no on the pull)  unsuccesful cut !! 

So figured... ok, I just need to get it to cut a straight line, start from centre and go outwards, return to centre and cut outward the other way!  Should work right ! used 2 colours and cut by colour to make 2 lines to control, definately along the right track right !   WRONG !!!  The cutter still chooses to cut from the edge inwards and I get the bunching as in trial 1 above !  I can not contro the DIRECTION of cut !!

I am not cutting complex patterns, it is a simple straight line then advance and repeat that I need yet I can not do it !  So here I am am, cap in hand (or lots of shredded and wasted cellophane anyway!) to ask humbly for help to do what I though would be the simplest cut a vinyl cutter could do....  A STRAIGHT LINE LOL !

Any experts out there that can get their head around what appears to be the most simplistic but complex cut and advise me or send me a simple pre-prepared file to simply send to the cutter !

Thank you in advance!

Cellophane as in saran wrap like you would wrap up left overs? Not sure what you are referring to. You sound like you just need a Mondo cutter or something. 

Vinyl cutters are designed to cut vinyl and other material that is adhered to a carrier sheet. If you are trying to cut clear through a single layer or clear through both layyers you will quickly ruin the cutting strip. As far as getting it to cut a line across the sheet..... Good question. It will probably cut a line every 51cm if you build a file correctly but it won't really be very automated like I think you are wanting. The MH has very low memory and doing many copies will twig the thing out pretty quickly. Tracking is going to probably be an issue too. In a nutshell if you need to chop the roll off at the 51cm you probably bought the wrong machine.

If you are cutting vinyl like the machine is made to cut and your design is within the edges of the roll then you probably just have your machine set up wrong. Too much blade sticking out would cause bunching and gathering like you describe. You should not be able to cut all the way through the vinyl and the carrier. Best way to set proper blade depth is to do it manually OFF the machine. Pull the blade holder out and drag it with some pressure across a scrap piece. If the blade cuts all the way though then it's too long. Reduce and try again until you get it to cut through the vinyl but not all the way through the carrier. THEN put it back in the machine and do a test cut and get it set so the pressure is such that it will cut through the vinyl and just barely scratch the carrier. 

Good luck man.