KatSMA

HELP! Transfer tape for small letters on Oracal 651

I am new to vinyl cutting and have been reading this forum any chance I get.  I searched for this topic and read multiple threads but still don't have the answer.

I am mainly cutting small auto decals (less than 6"x6") from Oracal 651.  These decals are shipped to customers who apply them to their vehicles.  I have an issue with decals with fine details and lettering not lifting from the backing.  

I really like Rtape AT65 clear choice on decals that don't have small details.  It works great for them and is so easy to work with.  However, on smaller details, it's not lifting (see attachement).  This is after squeegeeing it about 20 times (which should be an overkill) with both plastic and rubber squeegee.

I tried to use Oracal HT55 and it didn't lift anything at all.  The decal stayed on the backing.

RTape 4075 RLA works better but still left some parts and I don't like working with it as much as the clear choice.  It wrinkles a lot easier and curls up on sides.  Plus, when we do custom decals for people with their wording on it, the clear transfer tape looks so much nicer for a finished project.

After reading the forum, I am thinking about trying AT75 and 4076RLA to see if they will work any better.  

Can somebody who does small detailed decals with 651 give me some advice?  What other tapes should I try?  

Thank you,

Katerina

oracal-transfer.jpg

I use the 4076RLA as it is a high tack and seems to perform well.

I also have a roll of the TransfeRite 592 High tack and it does great too. I like a nice high tack because there is nothing more frustrating than having to fight to get your vinyl up off the carrier when you are 8ft up on a ladder.

I do tons of small things like that but i use GreenStar Layflat Classic Transfer Tape - Medium Tack .They do have a clear trans tape but i have never used it,But the paper tape has never failed me ever... Just a thought. I use it for 651,751, and on 3m mossy oak thick vinyl.. No issues ..

651 is known to be a little touchy with regard to the issue you are having. It is pretty nice to cut and weed as compared to other brands of calendared vinyl but getting it up off the carrier tends to be slightly more of an issue. There are instructions somewhere on tips to help deal with this which include re-queegee right before application or rubbing it aggressively over the edge of a counter to help loosen the vinyl from the backing and if possible turning it over and lifting the backing up off the vinyl rather than lifting the transfer paper and vinyl up off the carrier. Some of these are impracticable due to size or application so high tack is the best direction to go IMO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

651 is known to be a little touchy with regard to the issue you are having. It is pretty nice to cut and weed as compared to other brands of calendared vinyl but getting it up off the carrier tends to be slightly more of an issue. There are instructions somewhere on tips to help deal with this which include re-queegee right before application or rubbing it aggressively over the edge of a counter to help loosen the vinyl from the backing and if possible turning it over and lifting the backing up off the vinyl rather than lifting the transfer paper and vinyl up off the carrier. Some of these are impracticable due to size or application so high tack is the best direction to go IMO. 

I agree with this statement 100x.

I've noticed that I seem to have more issues with the vinyl I've had sitting longer than others.  Usually I have no issues with the white 651, however my roll of matte black vinyl has a tendency to not want to come off the carrier paper.  I use RTape, both their clear and paper depending on the job.  

Same issue here, I am starting to sell smaller pieces and I am afraid of bad reviews because the tape doesn't lift the vinyl. I use RTAPE 4075RLA which is supposed to be HIGH TACK. but I am not happy about the results. If I am having trouble, what about the customers that buy and install remotely later?

any recommendations?

15 hours ago, Dvillasmil said:

Same issue here, I am starting to sell smaller pieces and I am afraid of bad reviews because the tape doesn't lift the vinyl. I use RTAPE 4075RLA which is supposed to be HIGH TACK. but I am not happy about the results. If I am having trouble, what about the customers that buy and install remotely later?

any recommendations?

I use the paper transtape-------I sold and sell very small (Actually did some that were like 1.5"x1" tall decals yesterday to a guy for his Ar15 lower). and my transtape still held perfect.Even after sitting for 2 weeks ,it still pulled the vinyl off,One thing to remember is you or the customer have to re- squeegee the trans tape before installing the design.If its paper transtape, Humidity or moisture in the air can or will attack it and cause it to loose its adhesiveness, So by going over it with the squeegee before install will create that bond again unless it had to much moisture etc attack it...If that happens then you just have to deal with it ... I just sold a decal yesterday as well that i had in my drawer for 5 months and it went on with no issue for the customer........

...I sell a lot of things all the way to the east coast.None of my customers have ever complained or even made a comment on what i use,And i always check back with them to get feed back on everything i do.Im running 100% flawless for the past 2 years using the greenstar brand. This is the only stuff i buy for 951,751,651.http://www.uscutter.com/GreenStar-Application-Tape

Hope this helps..

• Like 2

well theres an issue I haven't encountered. even after buying a cheap roll of app tape off of amazon. issue I had with it was the app tape not realizing the decal. but that was a clear tape and me trying it the 1st time for a wet apply. that 1 is still hanging on the shop fridge for a reminder. I have about all my newbie mistakes stuck somewhere around the shop as reminders. greenstar paper tape came with my cutter, along with some transfer rite . now ive bought all different brands of tape for different material and to learn what works best for me.  I like the clear for displaying decals in the shop, to me shows off the decal better. but like several have posted, u will have better luck with the paper tape. especially with wet apply.( just come by and checkout my fridge. lol)  no matter which tape is on the decals I sell at the shop, I go over the application process with the customer. At that time I re - squeegee the tape as I'm showing them the process. seems to worked so far.

• Like 2

In my limited experience I agree that a re squeegee right before the application is a must.

I have used everything from shelf paper to clear and for the most part they all work the same, they just each have their places.

One thing to check is your blade depth, I did find at one time I had the knife too deep and that hindered the letters releasing.

From the picture you posted those letters don't look all that small. I do much smaller now that I have "some" experience under my belt.

Hang in there and use the advice given here, these people rock when it comes to helping out and knowing what they are talking about.

• Like 1

I don't think size is the issue either. Ive cut some .300 letters with no issues other than weeding with bad eye sight. lol.

and 110% agree about the knowledge on here. I would say 95% of what I know ive learned from here, or from whom ive met on here. so 75% coming from him.

I really appreciate everybody's advice.  I've tried some other types of tape and currently settled on RTape AT75.  This stuff is amazing if you like clear tape - http://www.uscutter.com/RTape-Clear-Choice-AT75-General-Purpose-Clear-High-Tack-Application-Tape-100yd.  It has a grid pattern that grabs the decal very well and looks so nice for the customer.  Since we are sending these to our customers to apply, most prefer the clear look vs. the paper so we're trying to cater to what they want.

I 100% agree on the re-squeegee method.  We added that to our decal installation instructions that we send to our customers with their purchases.

I also noticed that AT65 started working better so I am wondering whether just a few degree temperature difference made a difference in its function.  We had our heat set at 68 degrees in the winter and now, it's about 72 degrees in the room.  I wonder if warmer temperature makes it stick to the decals better.

I did test 4076RLA and it worked better than 4075RLA so it's in my arsenal now too.  

I love this forum.  So much helpful knowledge!

they may like the clear till they try applying to a compound surface like a rear window that curves 2 ways etc or until they try to install using a wet method then they will get over the clear - crafters love clear - sign and decal people that install almost always use paper

I actually just had the same exact problem with the same tape on a order of 75 smaller decals I just did. I re-squeeged the bejusus out of all of them and still had trouble with some of the letters lifting. Luckily the order was for a friend from school and if there's any issues I'll be able to fix it with no issues, but I will be changing my tape choice next time I order.