Wildgoose

New knife

Don't know how many of you are knife lovers but I just bought a new Spiderco Military 4" folder sprint run made with 52100 blade and a carbon fiber handle. Pretty excited to test out the 52100 blade. I don't consider myself any sort of knife aficionado or anything but have always wanted to try something built with the 52100 high carbon. Should be here Tuesday. 

Description
SP36CFP52100: C36CFP52100 Military Peel-Ply Carbon Fiber
Spyderco

A Sprint Run is a variation of an established Spyderco model featuring unique blade materials, handle colors, or other defining features. It is produced only one time and never repeated in that exact configuration again.

This extraordinary Sprint Run of our iconic Military Model features a blade ground from 52100 tool steel—a deep hardening, extremely tough tool steel that is best known for its use in ball and roller bearings. A traditional favorite of bladesmiths for forged knives, 52100 is prized for its toughness, wear resistance, and strength. Please note, however, that it is not a stainless steel and must, therefore, be properly maintained to prevent corrosion.

The handle of this unique knife features peel-ply textured carbon fiber scales that are remarkably lightweight, yet incredibly strong. Nested within these scales are skeletonized stainless steel liners that form the foundation of the knife's sturdy LinerLock mechanism and anchor its pocket clip, which is configured for right-side, tip-down carry. For users who enjoy accessorizing their knives with lanyards or fobs, the handle also includes a generously sized lined lanyard hole.

A unique expression of a true Spyderco classic, this limited edition Sprint Run of the Military Model offers both high performance and lasting collector's value.

• Like 1

I really like my spiderco knife- cant remember the version. Had a work associate in town last year- and took him to their HQ here in Golden Colorado. You can also buy knives in their showroom - lots of specialty memorabilia Military- Police, 9-11, etc,

• Like 1

I have a Cold Steel Recon 1 that I have had for probably 8-10 years. It's still very functional but the tanto tip is not always the best choice unless you need to pop a hole in a tin can. I like the metal it's made of AUS8 which develops a very sharp edge but it's brittle and doesn't hold the edge as well as I had hoped when I bought it. It's starting to show the wear from all the sharpening and sometimes a guys just gotta buy a new toy. I am a daily user and on average open my knife 3 times a day to open a box or cut off some plastic or something similar so I can justify the need. No zombies as of yet though.

I don't like little knives partly because I have huge hands (and I have always loved the crocodile dundee scene "That's not a knife... THAT'S and knife" I often conceal carry a pistol but not all the time so it's heartening to know with my other favorite "tool" I can practically take someones arm off if I get corned in an alley. I DO carry my recon 1 pretty much at all times and keep it silly sharp. 

I just picked up this Benchmade Mini Barrage.

BM585BKa.jpg

Guy I work with is sells all kinds of blades.  This makes the 9th blade I've gotten from him.  3 Benchmades, 2 Bucks, 1 Cold Steel, and 3 ESEE.

• Like 2

You can see here from comparing an original blade to mine how much use and wear I have accumulated over the years. The angle point where the tango tip turns is particularly a PIA to keep and I eventually just quit trying to keep it at a high angle and let it slide to a more rounded angle. That is the main working area of the knife and gets a lot of abuse. The AUS8 sharpens to a keen edge and for self defense use is fine. When you use it as much as I do you start to figure out that the edge is a bit brittle and tends to chip. I started using a double angle grind which helps some but still requires a lot of work to maintain a pristine edge all the time. 

Orig recon1.jpg

reconmine.jpg

• Like 1

I have a buck frontiersman for my crocodile Dundee moments, never really used it for anything other than waving around pretending to be a pirate! I love that knife!

what do you concealed carry WG, I'm a big fan of the M&P Shield?

• Like 1

The shield is a sweet gun. What caliber? Don't they make that thing in a 45acp? I have a little Ruger LCP 380 with some plus P hollow points. Other than that I sometimes cary a 1911 under my arm but it's so heavy I tend not to. I have a nice paddle holster for my Glock 17 that I take if I'm wearing a coat. 

• Like 1

9mm loaded with hydrashock.

i have a Sig P226 also in 9mm but with the attire here in FL it's way to difficult to conceal

On 2/21/2017 at 7:48 AM, andygeekboy said:

I have a buck frontiersman for my crocodile Dundee moments, never really used it for anything other than waving around pretending to be a pirate! I love that knife!

what do you concealed carry WG, I'm a big fan of the M&P Shield?

so I am not the primary target when someone decides to start shooting - if they are smart they will take out the known threat first and if you are open carry that is you. :)
M&P 380 with hydroshok here and wife LC9s with same rounds - the glock19 is too hard to conceal and the 357 is in case the first ones aren't enough 

• Like 2