motorsports12

program freeze? or cutter freeze?

i have a pcut (i believe 630)  i have had for several years - here lately i can be cutting and something freezes up - not sure if its the program (signblazer) or the cutter itself - it will be cutting just fine then all of a sudden it drops the blade and runs it back over to the start edge and all the way back to the beginning start point with the blade down thus ruining  what i was working on - i go back to the computer and the signblazer program is not responding - the only way to get out of it is to shut the computer off and restart it

what is this thing doing and what is my fix - is it computer - is it cutter  - is it connection - is it static ... i am not using the serial port or the usb (unless the square style connection is also usb)

thanks for any info

" i am not using the serial port or the usb "??? Seems you'd have to be using one or the other?

The only time I ever had SB lock up on me was when I had a communications failure. If you're using USB and not a Keyspan, that's probably your problem.

What OS are you using? And what is the cutter plugged into, USB or serial??

The exact model of the pcut would help quite a bit also...

it is a pcut 630 - I am using USB (shown in  the picture) - I am on Windows 7

I do not have a keyspan hooked up - guess I don't know much about them and how they work - is that my problem?

usb.PNG

I do not have a keyspan hooked up - guess I don't know much about them and how they work - is that my problem?

is there such a thing as a keyspan going from usb to usb - they all look like they go from serial port to usb

1 hour ago, motorsports12 said:

is there such a thing as a keyspan going from usb to usb - they all look like they go from serial port to usb

the keyspan brand made by tripplite is a solid chipset unlike the less reliable set internally in the plotter.  you would want to bypass that internal chipset that has proven so many times to be troublesome so you would want the keyspan to connect to the plotters serial port and not use the internal usb port - that is why so many people swear by the keyspan - and why so many have complained after they went and bought other cheaper usb to serial adapters . . . 

The Keyspan connects the USB port of your computer to the serial port of your cutter. If you don't have a true serial port on your computer, this would be the next best connection. If you don't have the original serial cable supplied with the cutter, you will also need a good quality serial 9 pin NULL modem cable to complete the connection.

And... There are quite a few models of the "630" such as the CT-630. It makes a difference, especially for the ports.