Sign in to follow this  
aldavis7

Newbie here from NC - Would love some advice!

Hey y'all!  I'm Alana. Thanks for having me.  I'm from NC, and have been wanting to start a vinyl business for a long time.  I've researched for a while, but would love y'alls help on where to get started.  I would like to make T-shirts, (any clothing)  car decals, wall decals, heat transfer on various items.  (pocket books, earrings, wood etc)   I have looked at the bundles here, but just not quite sure which one would be best for a newbie.  I would greatly appreciate any help in the right direction.  Thanks so much!

I think just about every one of us bought a newbie bundle and the usual feedback is a lot of it was not really that awesome. HOWEVER you have to start somewhere and so some of the bundles are probably worth it if for no other reason than as a newb you just don't know and understand what you need. The options out there are varied and personal likes/dislikes so varied that it's tough to know what YOU will like and use. Here is a little of my advice although your results may vary:

Avoid the all-in-one type heat presses. They don't actually do that awesome for all the extra applications. If you want to press mugs and plates and hats etc... do the research and get a dedicated press to do so. You don't necessarily NEED a top dollar heat press to get started in regular HTV work but it might be a good idea if you also plan to do Sublimation as good accurate and uniform heat is more critical in sublimation work than regular HTV.

As far as cutter, the best advice is to spend the most you can afford. You really do get what you pay for with a good name brand cutter. My top three suggestions would be Summa, Graphtec, Roland in that order. There are several other budget models that will do the job just fine as well but the limitations of a budget cutter can show up in many situations. There is one school of thought that a budget cutter will force you to be a better cutter operator so there is always that to justify spending less initially.

There are a few basic needs to do vinyl work but mostly you need experience and there's only one way to get that. Looking back if I had been a younger man and could afford to do so I would go get a low paying job in a sign shop and then a shirt shop just for the experience.

4 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

I think just about every one of us bought a newbie bundle and the usual feedback is a lot of it was not really that awesome. HOWEVER you have to start somewhere and so some of the bundles are probably worth it if for no other reason than as a newb you just don't know and understand what you need. The options out there are varied and personal likes/dislikes so varied that it's tough to know what YOU will like and use. Here is a little of my advice although your results may vary:

Avoid the all-in-one type heat presses. They don't actually do that awesome for all the extra applications. If you want to press mugs and plates and hats etc... do the research and get a dedicated press to do so. You don't necessarily NEED a top dollar heat press to get started in regular HTV work but it might be a good idea if you also plan to do Sublimation as good accurate and uniform heat is more critical in sublimation work than regular HTV.

As far as cutter, the best advice is to spend the most you can afford. You really do get what you pay for with a good name brand cutter. My top three suggestions would be Summa, Graphtec, Roland in that order. There are several other budget models that will do the job just fine as well but the limitations of a budget cutter can show up in many situations. There is one school of thought that a budget cutter will force you to be a better cutter operator so there is always that to justify spending less initially.

There are a few basic needs to do vinyl work but mostly you need experience and there's only one way to get that. Looking back if I had been a younger man and could afford to do so I would go get a low paying job in a sign shop and then a shirt shop just for the experience.

https://www.amazon.com/USCutter-Cutter-Laserpoint-Clamshell-Transfer/dp/B00C7XMM68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487019958&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+cutter+heat+press+bundle

Thank you for your reply.  What's your opinion on something like this?  Or would UScutter be a better option?

first one you linked to would be better - limiting yourself to the size of the cameo will make you want to upgrade very quickly

• Like 2

welcome! I'm 2 years in & it all started when I was struggling to make a buck & was in college trying to afford many things at a time. Books,car,insurance .. you know normal life style. I researched for about 4 months after falling into the vinyl market. It amazed me on the market & how far you can take it. So enough about that part of my life. What I did was apply for a PayPal credit card (billmelater at the time) and got approved for 4,000. it gives you 6 months no interest or payment. Now I stated I struggled in the beginning of this. not to worry if your willing to dedicate time and apply yourself you will do wonders. even if you build a separate room in your basement (what I did) for it with tax money. Back to the point. I clearly did not spend 4,000 to get started I found what I felt was best for me and got the titan cutter bundle. costed me I believe 1200 at the time. in 6 months I made 1400 in just vinyl decals.(most of these guys do that in a day LOL) the point was for me to learn faster and make money fast, but thats just not how life works. I did bank every penny to make sure it went to paying my cutter and supplies off & was in the green after that. Im a big car guy and was in many groups. (Facebook) was my best friend. after that I just continued to try and teach myself as well as stumbled on this forum and these guys are great! so just ask plenty of questions & never give up! I just got into doing appeal so will give update as time goes on. GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

Hi Alana.

Get a 34" unit (28.5" optimal cutting width using 30" vinyl) --  that size is especially useful for wall decals and car decals.

I'm running my sign shop with the MH871. Just completed a 4' x 8' (two-sided) banner for a local pizza place, was paid over $300 and got a free pepperoni pizza. What more could ya'll ask!!!!

• Like 1

I'm going on a yr from the purchase of my 1st cutter , I wished I had found  this forum 1st . def would've started with a different cutter, well maybe. my beginner cutter has served its purpose. I will be upgrading soon, but going with a smaller cutter. something with a 24" cut. I started with an 54" sc starter bundle. not a major 1 so I feel I got a decent deal on mine.  I would prob upgraded to a titan 2 if I was doing it over again. but with my beginners  knowledge and ability, the 54" allowed me to make my 1st sign look like an experienced pro did it

• Like 1

oops, almost forgot.. welcome aboard, what part of NC? I'm from western NC. recently moved to Myrtle Beach Sc area

Thank y'all so much.  I still can't decide on what I'd like to get started with, but I do know I'll probably go with a bundle to get me going.  Probably something like I linked above.  I will definitely be coming back on here  to get some help, and I appreciate y'all giving great suggestions.  I hope to make the purchase in the next couple weeks. 

@cardudenc  I live in Eastern, NC  but I'm originally from a small town in SC, an hour and a half from MB.  That's where my family and I vacation every year, more than a few times! 

my 1st sales job I sold picture framing supplies to the whole east coast of nc.

i fugure $ comes in to factor as far as your 1st cutter.unfortunately most bundles are set up for the seller to come out ahead, not the buyer. I know I don't like the cheap vinyl that came in my bundle and don't use it anymore.  like i posted, I'm looking for a smaller cutter. and i looked at the different 1s available like the 1 you posted. from what ive learned in my lil time cutting , i feel a 24" cutter is better suited for a lil bit everything. plus ive ordered all my vinyl on 24" rolls.  I'm still trying decide on my next cutter. for sure will be a 24". I'm trying to decide whether to  between buying a used high end cutter like a roland or such, or a new titan 2. or just keep waiting until i can afford a new upper end brand. definitely will have a servo cutter this time. my sc cutter with a stepper sounds like the space ship in the close encounters movie when cutting.

since you was already shopping amazon. you can pick up a titan 2 on there with free shipping for 850 and get 12 months 0% on an amazon card. that's how i bought my 1st cutter. I have a titan 2 in my cart on there now. lol.