bigfrank

wAHT TRANSFER TAPE FOR LARGER WALL GRAPHICS?

US Cutter tells me to use HT55 on Orocal 631.  It's a high tack transfer tape, but I'm wondering if it will be too high a tack and pull the graphic off the wall.  Waht are you guys using.  I need to order some here soon.

I see one of the Rtapes says its made for wall graphics, but they are out of the 14" which i wanted.  Thanks all.

Frank

UScutter is telling you correctly.  Oracal HT55 is made for Oracal 631 vinyl. which has a matte finish.   Some tapes will not stick to matte finish vinyl. 

ORATAPE HT55 High Tack Decorative Film Transfer Tape for 631 Vinyl

Specifically Designed to be the Best High Tack Tape to Pick up Matte Finish and Small Details, yet not Damage your Wall for Indoor Applications!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

UScutter is telling you correctly.  Oracal HT55 is made for Oracal 631 vinyl. which has a matte finish.   Some tapes will not stick to matte finish vinyl. 

ORATAPE HT55 High Tack Decorative Film Transfer Tape for 631 Vinyl

Specifically Designed to be the Best High Tack Tape to Pick up Matte Finish and Small Details, yet not Damage your Wall for Indoor Applications!

Thanks for the info.  Would it be too sticky for Oacal 631 on smaller  cut decals to go on glass?  If so, what would you recommend for 651?

Biggest problem with the 631 is actually getting it up off the carrier. Especially with small graphics, so that's the reason for the high tack. HT55 also has extra glue to help it reach down into the matt finish and get it to transfer. It comes off the vinyl on the wall about as good as anything else. If you do much of that then you already know how big a PIA any wall vinyl application is. 

40 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Biggest problem with the 631 is actually getting it up off the carrier. Especially with small graphics, so that's the reason for the high tack. HT55 also has extra glue to help it reach down into the matt finish and get it to transfer. It comes off the vinyl on the wall about as good as anything else. If you do much of that then you already know how big a PIA any wall vinyl application is. 

I have never used 631, except for paint stencils, and those were small.  And since paint stencils are reverse weeded, I didn't have any problems with  regular transfer paper on it.

Typical wall installs take 3 or 4 times as long as something on a good substrate. I AVOID them if at all possible.

3 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Typical wall installs take 3 or 4 times as long as something on a good substrate. I AVOID them if at all possible.

Very true,but i learned a little trick on my last install with 631 at a marina job i did. I took a lint free cloth and damped it with rubbing alcohol and lightly went over the wall surface where the design was going, which some people dont know that walls will absorb anything in the air, from dust and even to cooking oils or grease if in the area of a kitchen,So by using the alcohol it will clean the surface without harming the paint,,,Made a big difference..Just remember to lightly wipe it down with no force........Once cleaned and dry , after i apply the 631 i usually wait about 3-4 minutes and i wet the transtape lightly as well,and pull off at about  a 10 degrees instead of the normal 45 degrees  ,but go a little slower than normal when pulling

3 hours ago, Go-C Graphics said:

You should be more worried about what was used to paint the wall.  

Which is also true,,Some paints have the marker free additive and similar.

• Like 1