$corpio35

Help for a newbie

Hi all,

As stated I am completely new to this industry so I virtually have very little knowledge about signage and print design.   I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge in your line of work.   Let me explain how I ended up here.  I play hockey and I'm a goalie, therefore I have gone thru several goalie masks and I'm about to replace mine very soon with a new one.   I have thinking about getting my new mask custom airbrushed painted as I have with my previous masks.  I then discover that there's vinyl wraps or decals for mask and helmets etc.  I was thinking about doing it myself.   I have heard of wraps for cars or bikes but haven't realized it can be done for masks.   I was thinking about getting into this vinyl wrap and decal as a side business as well.  The reason why I'm here is I need alot of guidance and advice on where to start.

Here are some questions.

What kind of printer would I need to get started?

what exactly is a plotter? Does it cut and print?  What is the price range?

I would like a software where I have complete freedom to draw and design and stock templates to use so What kind of software would I need?

i hear coraldraw is good but is there a specific version?  

I have no idea how to draw on a computer what is the best way to learn?

How do I create templates for goalie masks?

I know there's different kinds of wraps i.e. From 3M,  there's different grades, colors and thickness.  Wraps for mask or helmet or cars must be very thin to cover the compound curves so what thickness would you need?

Can all plotters cut any thickness of vinyl?

I have seen on the Internet people print on a sheet and then put another layer of vinyl on top?  Can't you directly print your design on a vinyl sheet and apply?  I don't think car wraps are produced that way?  

These are a few questions to get started and im sure I'll have more.  Thanks for your help!

:rolleyes:

I highly suggest that you visit a local shop that does work in vinyl cutting, printing, wraps, etc.

Start with that, and then return here with specific questions (and use the search feature in the Forums for key words to read prior threads on the subjects) --

"contour cutting"  "lamination"  "masking"

Also, tons of info on youtube,  Pretty much any question that you asked can be answered there, with a video.. UScutter has videos there on their cutters as well as other cutter sellers, printer sellers, vinyl sellers, wraps, software lessons, etc....

Your answers can also be found using a good search engine like google..or similar...or doing searches right here on the forum,  These questions have been answered already hundreds of times. Search box upper right corner..

UScutter has a vinyl cutter buying guide right on their website. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately you are dealing with SO many questions that none of us have the time to sit down and write the novel that would be required to answer them all. 

I suggest you do as the other two posters suggested. Get a cup of joe and spend a few hours watching some vids and do some research. 

Generally most cutters can cut most basic thicknesses of vinyl. Printers are going to cost too much for what you want and helmets and other plastic products can require special vinyl to adhere. 

6 hours ago, $corpio35 said:

Hi all,

As stated I am completely new to this industry so I virtually have very little knowledge about signage and print design.   I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge in your line of work.   Let me explain how I ended up here.  I play hockey and I'm a goalie, therefore I have gone thru several goalie masks and I'm about to replace mine very soon with a new one.   I have thinking about getting my new mask custom airbrushed painted as I have with my previous masks.  I then discover that there's vinyl wraps or decals for mask and helmets etc.  I was thinking about doing it myself.   I have heard of wraps for cars or bikes but haven't realized it can be done for masks.   I was thinking about getting into this vinyl wrap and decal as a side business as well.  The reason why I'm here is I need alot of guidance and advice on where to start.

Here are some questions.

What kind of printer would I need to get started?  Eco solvent, or latex printers - plan on $8,000-16,000+   and a laminator for the mask wraps

what exactly is a plotter? Does it cut and print?  What is the price range?    plotters just cut and run from $300-4,000

I would like a software where I have complete freedom to draw and design and stock templates to use so What kind of software would I need?  corel draw, adobe Illustrator, flexisdign pro, etc

i hear coraldraw is good but is there a specific version?  any you like

I have no idea how to draw on a computer what is the best way to learn?    classes or tutorial DVD's, you tube videos, don't expect to be proficient for quite some time

How do I create templates for goalie masks?   great video on youtube on wraping helmets - one of the most challenging wraps that can be done - usually with a barrel to apply again will take you quite a while to master

I know there's different kinds of wraps i.e. From 3M,  there's different grades, colors and thickness.  Wraps for mask or helmet or cars must be very thin to cover the compound curves so what thickness would you need?  Higher end 3m wrap vinyl and laminate would be my personal choice

Can all plotters cut any thickness of vinyl?     within reason - they even cut sandblast resist,  I do have some sign reflective I cannot cut but it is a rare exception

I have seen on the Internet people print on a sheet and then put another layer of vinyl on top?  Can't you directly print your design on a vinyl sheet and apply?  I don't think car wraps are produced that way?    you will want to laminate the mask wraps

These are a few questions to get started and im sure I'll have more.  Thanks for your help!

you will have to ask yourself it is it worth investing $10-$20,000 plus the time and expense of materials to learn to do the wraps and how many you would have to do to make it worth your while it's not cheap or easy - We have a member that was the third best wrap expert in 3m's context  last year and the item that separated him from the top 2 was a mask.  this guy has done it for years and wraps subway cars, busses, buildings etc for a living - research as others have suggested is your best bet

• Like 2