trademarc

Help with printer and or heatpress issue

I recently purchased a Sawgrass sg800 with the sublijet ink and a Blue Ox 15x15 clamshell heat press.  I had been making the same t-shirts on different equipment prior to this and when I printed out the picture it looked great but when I went to heat press it, it was a different story when. I would do a test with a portion of a picture it came out great when I tried to heat press the whole thing it wouldn't let the ink seed  into the material.  I tried different heat settings different length of time and when I do the test it's fine and when I do the whole thing it messes up. I am using the paper that I used with the Epson printer it's standard sublimation paper. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use texprint-r paper that is made for the ricohs because if you print several the gel ink will smudge as one page hits another if you don't. but I doubt that is the problem on a single sheet - you might want to check the actual temp of the platen with an IR thermometer and check different areas around the plated to make sure it is heating evenly

• Like 2

Thank you.  I got in touch with Sawgrass and they recommended a few different papers to use so I ordered paper.  Going to try that.  I'm just confused with the heat press because I did one on a shirt I had already messed up and it worked out fine so I said okay I've got it set right and when I put it on to a shirt that didn't have anything on it yet it messed up and that happened twice.  But I'm going to try your suggestion as well.  I haven't had any trouble with the heat press doing the vinyl but of course that's a whole different ballgame.

You would be surprised at how much difference any change makes, speaking of slight temp changes and slight cook time changes as well as pressure. I did some testing on strips of cloth and found you can change the color about 4 shades just by varying the cook time or temp. Not to mention the actual CMYK settings. Some colors are more forgiving but blues are especially touchy. You should have a better time of it than I did due to the sawgrass printer being superior to the Epson I have but there are a LOT of variables.