Sign in to follow this  
Donnie

Oracal 651 vinyl

Can someone tell me how to place a decal on a license without getting tiny bubbles.

I cleaned the plate with Isopropyl Alcohol wiped dry let it set.

Then i placed the decal where i want it then i put tape across the top of decal.

Pulled the backing off slow while holding the decal out the i started squeeging the decal slowly.

Then when i would start pulling the transfer tape off laying flat down on the plate pulling slow

I still would get little bubbles what am i doing wrong.

I have found that using application fluid, commercial or home brew, on flat surfaces is the way to go. I also use the "hinge method" for applying decals. The more you do, the better you will get. We have all had problems when we first started cutting decals.

• Like 1

I'm using the clear AT75 R-Tape would that matter if i would use application fluid on this tape.

Idid try this and the addhesive got gummy.

Donny, a quick Google search provides the answer to why you cannot apply clear tape wet  --

https://blog.signwarehouse.com/why-clear-tape-and-application-fluid-doesnt-mix/

and this thread provides a lot of details about app fluids --

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/2474-homemade-solution-comparable-to-rapid-tac2/

• Like 1

Ok thanks I didn't think you could.

I just wish I can get those pesky bubbles out ther very tiny but I don't like them.

I think i'm doing the application the right way.

I just wish I can that those pesky bubbles out ther very tiny but I don't like them.

Put your cut decal on a flat surface, like table first, and apply the transfer tape, and squeegee it down good,,, Now remove the backing and apply the decal.   Paper tape is much easier to use, and can be applied wet..

If you are having bubbles then it's very likely that it is squeegee technique that needs tuning up. It will get better as you gain experience. Little tiny ones will usually disperse over time but I know that can still look crappy if you are trying to sell this to a customer. Below is a link to an article that may offer some help.

I just wish I can that those pesky bubbles out ther very tiny but I don't like them.

Skeeter what kind of paper tape do you use, could you see threw it to line the grafic up.

I did lay the the decal on a flat surface then i put the transfer paper on.

I bow the transfer paper in the middle.

Wildgoose I squeegee the hell out of it the bubbles are smaller than a flea.

There isn't that many but still i don't like it.

Skeeter what kind of paper tape do you use, could you see threw it to line the grafic up.

"Then i placed the decal where i want it then i put tape across the top of decal. "    I guess this statement threw me off ..Ok    I use Main medium tack  paper tape for all of my sold decals. Yes, you can see the decal thru the tape.  It's not clear, but have never had a complaint, and paper taped decals can be rolled up and shipped without problems.

Thanks i will try this do you buy this from US CUTTER

Many times the bubbles are started during the app tape installation so good squeegee technique isn't just about install. Have you tried laying down the app paper sticky side up and placing your vinyl INTO it face down and squeegee the back? If not, give it a try. Works pretty good on smallish stuff and I have used that technique up to 36" wide if not too tall. 

I'm starting to think it is the oracal 651 Burgandy vinyl giving me the problem.

I tried everything to go about laying the app tape down squeegeing and still small bubbles.

When I put the Oracal 651 white down no problems at all.

Thats why I think it is the vinyl.