Sign in to follow this  
Daveischosen

Best way to cut off a 24" roll of vinyl

I'm sure a newbie question, but stepping up from a cricut to a 871 cutter. We were excited to be able to buy a large roll of vinyl to use with the machine.

It seems the hardest part so far is the best way to cut the vinyl off the roll straight to where we can cut again. We want to just leave the 24" roll on the machine and cut project after project. We bought the Oracal 631 vinyl and have found it to be pretty sticky. Is the Greenstar brand any less sticky? we make stencils for painting so it just needs to stick well for a day.

Love the forums, and the knowledge here and appreciate any help.

Good morning, Dave.

Yes, there's plenty of information here, and as you go along, don't be shy in contributing.

Let's review  --

1. Large roll --  Is that a full 50-yard roll? or just 10-yards?  In any case, you will want to UNROLL ("Pre-feed") and not have the cutter attempt to pull vinyl directly from the roll.

2. Oracal 631 is designed for wall art, and is fairly Non-Agressive regarding adhesion and ease of removability. There is an Oracal product especially designed for paint stencils -- Oramask 813 and 810 (oil paints).

3. Although you didn't ask, there is a feature within the software which allows you to "advance after cutting" and specify how much to leave between jobs (so you can run a knife blade across the vinyl and release the job cut from the roll). I've got mine set at 1" but that may prove to be more than you need.

Let's hear back, and see what we can do for ya!

• Like 1

Oramask 813  is intriguing, so it cuts like regular vinyl? it is a lot cheaper for sure. and you answered my question about cutting it. I was hoping it would self cut, lol.  The roll I bought was 50 yards, we make a lot of sign stencils and the sticky vinyl actually pulls some of the wood up on certain species of wood. Already loving the flexibility of a larger cutter over the small Cricut. Although a hobby cutter, we have pushed 2500 cuts through ours in about 16 months and its been flawless. I hope this 871 gives us the same reliability.  Appreciate the help Slice, have a great rest of the weekend!

12 hours ago, Daveischosen said:

It seems the hardest part so far is the best way to cut the vinyl off the roll straight to where we can cut again. 

Most people just use scissors or a razor blade