Dakotagrafx

cut strip replacement

watched a video tonight about replacing a cutting strip on a roland - of course the adhesive comes right off with a rag and solvent - then that got me wondering if there were any youtube videos of people replacing the ce3000, ce5000, etc cutting strip - Not a one :)   those that have been thru this adventure will know why no one wants to show there talents replacing on of those strips in a video.  The adhesive is some kind or other worldly butyl type of stuff - Now I have heard of people having the adhesive come off with the strip - but the 3 or so I did, did not have that experience and I would be ashamed to post the cussing for that procedure.  I love the graphtecs and will always have them but that is one maint. area I always dread 

• Like 2

I will be replacing the cutting strip on a CE5000-60 that I picked up this week, in a few weeks. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

May you be one of the lucky nes.  

I hope so. the mfg date is 2008.

Good luck. I had no problem pulling up the cutting strip on my CE-5000. With that said, getting the adhesive off was a whole different story.  I tried Goof-Off, WD-40, rubbing alcohol, anything I could find. After all that, the only thing that worked was Carburetor Cleaner. It made a mess, but it got it off. Hope this helps.

If you have that much trouble, might try Acetone or I've heard VM&P Naphtha works well for removing adhesives. Although they may damage the finish.

used most solvents and even dry ice - it is a miserable experience - Trumpy is right the strip comes right off  - that dang adhesive is some interesting stuff

I treat my strip like the holy grail. Still in pristine condition thank goodness. 

• Like 1

Am chiming in here --- When the strip DOES catch a blade (and it's hard avoiding 100% especially on lower-end machines).

I run the flat edge of a screwdriver across to kinda re-heal the scratch into the surface of the nylon. That seems to restore the area.

• Like 2

Slice that is a good tip. The lower end machines have basically a plastic strip and that would help it live a little longer. 

• Like 1

Update.

I replaced the cutting strip on my Graphtec, that I picked up a few weeks ago, this afternoon. The old strip came right off but the stick'um stuck really good. I tried denatured alcohol first but it did nothing. I grabbed a bottle of adhesive remover that I had, for who knows how many years, and applied it to 1/2 of the strip. I let it sit on there for around 30 minutes and the adhesive came right off. I applied the remover to the rest of the strip and after 45 minutes sitting, it came off too. After wiping the surface down with alcohol, I installed my new cutting strip and was back in business. The cutter looks and cuts like it was brand new. The guy that I bought the cutter from had the blade set out so far that it cut right through the cutting strip and scored the metal below the strip. Guess he never read Skeeter's blade setting instructions.:lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arty-rc said:

Update.

I replaced the cutting strip on my Graphtec, that I picked up a few weeks ago, this afternoon. The old strip came right off but the stick'um stuck really good. I tried denatured alcohol first but it did nothing. I grabbed a bottle of adhesive remover that I had, for who knows how many years, and applied it to 1/2 of the strip. I let it sit on there for around 30 minutes and the adhesive came right off. I applied the remover to the rest of the strip and after 45 minutes sitting, it came off too. After wiping the surface down with alcohol, I installed my new cutting strip and was back in business. The cutter looks and cuts like it was brand new. The guy that I bought the cutter from had the blade set out so far that it cut right through the cutting strip and scored the metal below the strip. Guess he never read Skeeter's blade setting instructions.:lol:

Post up what that remover was for the rest of us!

LOL   I saw this posted on youtube, from a Titan 2 owner..giving instructions...  " I have a Titan 2 as well my speed /force is at 300/93. What is yours at? I was having this problem of vinyl coming up because my blade was to far out. Tighten it to where it doesn't stick out more than a credit card. Hope this helps"

Wonder how far it was out when they started.. LOL Bet their strip is chewed up also.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Post up what that remover was for the rest of us!

The remover is   Motsenbockers Lift Off 2 Tape, Adhesive, Grease & Oil Remover . As I said, the trick is to let it soak in for 30-45 minutes. I did remove the front plastic covers, the vinyl position sensor and covered up the electronics before applying it to the adhesive. I was able to grab the end of the adhesive and between pushing it with my finger and pulling it, it came right off. Also, there was zero damage to the cutter finish!

• Like 2