Soren

Sticker Vinyl vs Wrap Vinyl

Ok... I told you guys that eventually I may be asking some dumb questions... and it's only because I am unable to find some answers online (or I don't know the right question to ask).

So... What is the difference between vinyl that is for wraps (for example this chrome stuff on ebay) and vinyl that you can use to make decals or stickers (like Oracal 651)? Can you cut wrap vinyl to make stickers ? If so, will wrap vinyl last outdoors as long as sticker vinyl? 

And then, for those that are feeling adventurous, what about headlight tint vinyl (for example this chameleon stuff on ebay)?

Just doing a check on vinyl prices,,,  I believe most wrap vinyl rolls come very wide rolls, like 60" wide to be able to do large vehicles,  Looking at a 3M supplier Feller's  a 60" W x 25 yd roll of 3M  1080 gloss is $636.75  a roll.  So $25.47 a yd..  And the warranty is 3 year vertical and 1 year horizontal...It is also thicker than Oracal 651,  I would not buy vinyl from some Ebay China seller...  You can do other online searches and compare specs and prices against  Oracal 651.   Should not be a problem to cut..   So does the price justify making and selling decals from it?   I do not see chrome but metal wrap the same size was over $600 a roll.

And UScutter prices

http://www.uscutter.com/ORACAL-970RA-Wrapping-Cast-with-Rapid-Air-Technology-60in-Wide

PRODUCT DETAILS

• 60" wide, 3.5 Mil Gloss Cast Wrap Film with Long-term, Gray, Removable, Repositionable, Pressure Activated Adhesive with Non-visible Air Release Channels
  • 7 year expected outdoor performance, 3 year vertical and 1 year horizontal warranty period
  • Available in 60" rolls, allowing most vehicles to be wrapped without seams
  • Gloss colors can sometimes have a haze/blotchiness/mottling that can usually be eliminated with heat. Even the shipping box can create surface impressions that can also be eliminated with heat
  • Invisible air release channels assure fast and easy virtually bubble-free applications
  • No overlaminate required
  • Watercraft graphics applied above static water line only
  • Caution:  Always pre-test vinyl installation on vehicles.  Do not install if there is any adverse or negative impact on sensors and/or other safety-related equipment on the intended vehicle.
  • Caution:  Always pre-test vinyl installation on vehicles.  Do not install if there is any adverse or negative impact on sensors and/or other safety-related equipment on the intended vehicle.
  • Film colors can vary slightly from roll to roll. For the most consistency, please purchase a full roll.  We are unable to guarantee consistency with multiple orders of cut yardage. 
  • The 3M warranty is for product value only and provides no protection or reimbursement for additional costs including labor or vehicle/paint damage.  Please refer to the Information Sheets below.

6 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I would not buy vinyl from some Ebay China seller... 

Wasn't planning on it. Just found those as a quick examples of material. So, you can use vinyl wrap or the tint vinyl for stickers/decals?

Wrap vinyl can be cut with a vinyl cutter..  yes.. 

From what I have read,on websites.. tint requires a Graphtec 30 degree or a Roland 25 degree blade....I have never worked with it.

Hopefully someone else can help.

• Like 1