JP123

Will AI Scale Like Flexi???

While I wait for the "perfect" cutter to show up on my doorstep... whatever that turns out to be... I'm trying to do a little pre-buy design work.

I already subscribe to the full Adobe CC suite, but I've really been tempted to subscribe to Flexisign Pro due to 1 key feature.

That's the "automatic scaling" feature.  The ability to take a known measurement and scale an image to match with 1 click.

I am assuming that either Illustrator or Photoshop has the same abilities, but you know what they say about assuming!  I can't seem to find any definite answer or video showing how I would do this and I keep trying to figure it out myself, to no avail.

I am guessing that someone here will give me the answer in about 2 minutes after I post this question.

Thanks as always!!!

As long as you have the whole object or the "Known" size selected you can see the exact size right on the main work page as long as you have the Ruler visible (not default on CS5, you have to turn it on and then set the measurement inches, mm, cm etc...). So if you have to have say 8.25" lettering or 24" wide graphic you can just select it and then go same it by typing this in up in the little boxes that show height and width. There is a little check box between the height and width you either check or unchecked to maintain aspect ratio or not. I don't run CC so some of the options may be located in different spots but they are there somewhere and it's pretty intuitive. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply!

I got that part, but, what I'm trying to figure out is can AI do what this video shows (I hope the link is OK, not an endorsement)...  

Yeah other than you scale your rectangle up to full size then scale your drawing separately until it matches. I don't believe there is am option to scale the rest of the job up by whatever amount you are scaling the selected item. This is exactly how I do mock up and final vinyl for most of the vehicles and signage that I do. You do have to be very careful and get a picture that is square to the world. You can get messed up if you take a shot from an angle. This would be true in the flexi example as well. 

That's a pretty slick option in the software, but if you already have design software I wouldn't buy new software just for that feature. Manually scaling a drawing is pretty easy with Wildgooses technique, or you can just do some quick math as well.

known measurement / on screen measurement * overall onscreen drawing measurement = new overall drawing measurement

• Like 1