Soren

Shipping Large Decals/Stickers

For those of you that ship stickers/decals, what kind of packaging do you use to ship large decals. By large I mean the size that would fit on the back window of a car or pickup truck or let's say a single graphic that could go down the side of a car, like flames or something. I have some stiff paperboard envelopes that I use to ship stuff that is up to about 9x12. But, I am curious about larger stickers/decals.

44 minutes ago, Soren said:

For those of you that ship stickers/decals, what kind of packaging do you use to ship large decals. By large I mean the size that would fit on the back window of a car or pickup truck or let's say a single graphic that could go down the side of a car, like flames or something. I have some stiff paperboard envelopes that I use to ship stuff that is up to about 9x12. But, I am curious about larger stickers/decals.

depending on size i would use a box or a flat shipping envelope etc. otherwise if the design is big and i can cut it apart in sections then i would do that. The last one i just mailed out was for a whole rear window of a jeep grand cherokee. so i just cut apart the design in sections,laid it back together and marked lines across my cuts so they have reference marks to put it back together exactly how it goes..hope that helps lol

• Like 1

Roll it up and put it in a tube. I store my long windshield banners for the Jeep club this way, then store them in a box standing up.

ETA: A few of us bought lift kits from the same company, they all had a decent size graphic rolled up in a  cardboard tube in the kit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Primal Decals said:

. so i just cut apart the design in sections,laid it back together and marked lines across my cuts so they have reference marks to put it back together exactly how it goes..hope that helps lol

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me,  roll them up and put them in a mailing tube.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mb20music said:

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me,  roll them up and put them in a mailing tube.

I thought about the first time.. But the customers seem to like it in case they want to lay it out a little differently,so i just stick with it if they want it that way..Otherwise sending the whole design as one if needed...

• Like 1

The triangle Priority boxes/tubes, from the United States Postal Service. You can get an 8 foot long graphic in them, no problem.

The cardboard rolls your vinyl comes on, makes a good shipping container, too.

• Like 1

This looks like a discussion that is several months old, but since the topic is already discussed I'm going to try tacking on to this one first.

So I have been using mailing tubes for a while now.  Just recently I cut out a 12" x 24" design, prepared it, rolled it (transfer tape on the outside), and put it into a shipping tube.  Before I had a chance to ship it, the customer requested to cancel the order so I gave her a partial refund.  This allowed me to bring the tube home and open it up to see what it looks like after shipping and sort of simulate what the customer gets.  I was surprised to see that it was very wrinkled and not something I would be happy with the customer receiving (see attached image).  I'm using 3" diameter tubes.  Should I get larger tubes?  Is it possible that I'm not taping it correctly or maybe packaging it too quickly after taping?  Maybe I should just attempt to ship it flat by taping some rigid cardboard together, however, some items I sell are as long as 72" and this would not be any option.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone have any pointers?

IMG_0281.JPG

I don't use tubes,  I use heavy duty boxes from ULINE,  and they are the open top, 6" x 6" x whatever length  I keep 12" 18" 24" and 30" lengths..   I roll them  loose. And many are 96" L x 2   Never had a complaint. I do not cut anything apart to ship it, Many of my decals are 20" w x 96-100" L x 2  Or I have wider at 27" W x L that go in the 30" L boxes.  They get the entire decals ready to apply.   I figure the packing right in with the price of the decals.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-4240/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/24-x-6-x-6-Long-Corrugated-Boxes

• Like 2

I would for sure try a larger tube...To test this instead of buying a tube. take a already made design or scrap piece and roll it to fit in a 4 " tube  and tape it to hold and let it sit and then check it later to see what it does, if it does it still go bigger .. This will tell you how big the roll needs to be to prevent it..Ive never had that problem yet.ive used the rolls that my vinyl has came on once i use up a roll i save it but started using smaller boxes  like MZ Skeeter suggested as well.....No one has said anything about it doing that way..When i have a design like in your picture, i cut them down into sections or top , middle ,bottom rows and ship them that way to save on the over all size..When they get them , they just put it back together like a 3 piece puzzle. simple and easy for them,All my customers like it that way in smaller sections.

If you have an EBAY,store  you can get FREE shipping boxes..each quarter..  They are not as strong as the ULINE boxes, but I have never had a complaint with them either.  the 8" x 6" x 6"  and their 12"  x 6" x 6"  are helpful.