p3aul

Do I have a vector image?

If I import a line art image into AI and save it as an .ai file do I have a vector image or just a jpg with an.ai extension? I have tried to use the trace function in AI and Inkscape, but I see no difference in the image. It is not composed of separate pictures. It's still the same old image and I can not select different parts. I will post the image I am trying to vectorise. below. BTW I am a newby and this is my first cutter(SC series), although I have used one with a simple computer about 20 years ago.

Thanks,

Paulhorse for vector.jpg

Hello p3aul, I am not as well versed as most; but will try to answer.

If you save a jpg in AI with a .ai extension it is not a vector file.  As you said, it is pretty much a jpg with an ai extension.

I do not understand your "separate picture" comment, perhaps you meant "separate components"?

In the image above, and in AI; select the image and select trace and expand.  Now you have a vector file.  If you select the whole image and "Object, ungroup" - that should break the image into the separate parts.  Then use the white arrow to select the part of the horse you want to work on.

hth,

Cal 

• Like 1

In AI you will use the Live Trace button and there are several preset tracing options after you initially do a live trace. Once you get it looking like you want then you have to use the Expand button and this will create the outlines. That horse head will probably trace out decent because it's black on white but a lot of auto traced art doesn't always come out clean. I generally hand trace anything that I want a nice cut ready file. Practice practice practice. If you have a new enough version of AI you can set it up so it ignores white which will automatically parse all the white open areas. If you don't do this you will have to go in and select the white areas and delete them or you will get double cuts in some cutting software. 

• Like 2

It is not a vector file...you need to trace it.

Attached is a straight trace from CorelDraw with no touch-ups.

Your jpg file is at the bottom....as you can see, an eps file can contain both vector and raster objects.

Sue2

Horse-Head.eps

• Like 1

If you want to use Inkscape to auto trace, open the image in Inkscape and select it, then from the menu bar select Path, Trace Bitmat. The default settings are ok and you can simply hit the OK button to get a pretty good trace. The trace will be directly over the original so you'll need to click on the original image and drag the selection off to the side.

If you adjust the Brightness Cutoff Threshold you can improve the trace results, 0.450 is the default but I've found that 0.65 typically gives me better results to start with. Virtually all auto traced images will need some manual touch ups to get it looking just right. This image for example, the eyebrow will need some work as well as the lower part of the face/head.

• Like 1

thanks to all of you for the advice. I have all of those., but IS seems to work the best. I have AI CC and it doesn't have those buttons. I would love to learn how to make those designs like the Horses's head out of just a few broad strokes then I could just scan it in and vectorise it. 

1 hour ago, p3aul said:

thanks to all of you for the advice. I have all of those., but IS seems to work the best. I have AI CC and it doesn't have those buttons. I would love to learn how to make those designs like the Horses's head out of just a few broad strokes then I could just scan it in and vectorise it. 

You need vector magic.. amazing amazing..

If you practice up with Inkscape or AI and learn to draw you don't have to vectorize a second time. Both draw in vectors. You just have to learn a few basics. No stroked lines (use only solid fills) and be sure and weld things together that overlap etc... AI CC has those options but you have to figure out where they are. I am usually unhappy with auto trace versions so I tend to trace it out manually. 

• Like 1

Yes I succeeded in vectorising with AI and I like it much better. I think I'm going to bring in the photos in AI and use the pen tool to trace it ove the parts I wish to keep. Using that vector image I bought the rights to that I showed in the OP to figure out what would make it look good. I ntend these to be stencils for sandblasting on a glass mug and as a stencil for a T or polo shirt. A little experimentation is called for because I hate airbrushing si I'm going to try using those sponges on sticks like at HobbyLobby. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Thanks for the additional info!

Paul

• Like 1