Soren

Grip Tape?

Has anyone worked with (cut) grip tape (for like skateboards)? Is it even possible?

That's what I was thinking too.
I was browsing ebay and have run across various grip tape stickers and it got me curious and thinking.

We do it where I work. We use an exacto knife blade in a drag knife setup. We purposely dull the tip of the blade before we use it. It's done on a large flatbed cutter. We cut from the back.

• Like 1

I've never tried it in a vinyl cutter, but it could be possible.  It might be a little less rough on the blade if you fed the material through grit side down and mirrored your cuts.  This way you're only trying to cut through the paper backing and a thin layer of adhesive, avoiding much of the abrasive grit.  I've laser cut skate board tape before, and that's how I've set my cuts up.

If you're looking to keep your cuts in place like you do with vinyl, you might also try taking some wide masking tape or painters tape and covering the grit side of your material before cutting.  Transfer tape, like HT55, isn't sticky enough.  It would act like transfer tape and you could weed out your waste material after cutting, leaving your shapes stuck to the masking tape.