Sign in to follow this  
xpaperman

Sublimated Plaques on the Fusion?

I bought the fusion last year (love it) but have run into a small issue.  When I go to sublimate plaques, due to the thickness of them, after turning the knob on the fusion to open it as much as possible, the press won't close with the plaque in it.  Is there another adjustment to make more room for a plaque.  I have been having to hold the top down with medium pressure for a minute and a half on every plaque.  I only have another 250 to do... sure would not have to stand there applying pressure all the time.

Thanks in Advance!

not sure how the removable platen attaches but if a pin will it go down any more when the attachment is removed?  be careful as I have read at least 3 post where people have bent the back post on the fusion applying too much pressure

You will have to talk to them about a custom platen. They will build you one if you have enough need to justify the price. I would consider hiring someone locally to mod you up something that will work. There is a limit as you have found with the actual thickness they can handle with the regular shirt platens in there.

Thanks for the help guys.  With the mention of a custom platen,  I did order a couple different platens with the press (have not used any yet).  That got me to thinking so I pulled one out and it looked like it had a lower profile than the regular one.  Swapped them out and viola.... it does have a lower profile and allows for thicker items!  works perfect with the plaques!

• Like 1

The Fusion is expensive but freakin' awesome. I use a couple other platens regularly for improved workflow. The 11"x 15" turned sideways fits hoodies perfectly between the pouch and the neck. Saves fighting the heavy seam at the pouch. The 6"x 20" is super handy for all sorts of sleeve and shoulder work as well. I have a couple hundred full zip hoodies to do left chest logos that the 6" will allow me to do without a press pad and makes aligning a snap. If you do any kind of apparel volume look into the laser alignment system. It's $300 but will pay for itself in no time with time saved getting things in the right place.

1 hour ago, Wildgoose said:

The Fusion is expensive but freakin' awesome. I use a couple other platens regularly for improved workflow. The 11"x 15" turned sideways fits hoodies perfectly between the pouch and the neck. Saves fighting the heavy seam at the pouch. The 6"x 20" is super handy for all sorts of sleeve and shoulder work as well. I have a couple hundred full zip hoodies to do left chest logos that the 6" will allow me to do without a press pad and makes aligning a snap. If you do any kind of apparel volume look into the laser alignment system. It's $300 but will pay for itself in no time with time saved getting things in the right place.

I got the laser alignment when I bought the press.  I was on the fence at 300 but did it anyway.  Have used it a couple times.  A huge help on one job for sure!  But for most of my single color stuff it is still just as easy to fold the shirt in half to find center.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xpaperman said:

I got the laser alignment when I bought the press.  I was on the fence at 300 but did it anyway.  Have used it a couple times.  A huge help on one job for sure!  But for most of my single color stuff it is still just as easy to fold the shirt in half to find center.

I still make sure I know where the center of the shirt is either by folding or finding the light crease many of them come with and I align the crease with a center laser and then I know my cross laser lines are square to the world. I do fairly high volume. (650 jackets in the last two days for instance) and the ability to hit the right spot in seconds saves a boat load of time. I also do a lot of uniform work and if all the spacing of the logo's and numbers front and back aren't the same it is super obvious when they are all out on the court. Stuff like that is what made it pay off. I use it most of the time even on short runs now that I am used to it. 

• Like 1