Trooper_vinyl_solutions

Vinyl Printer help

So, I'm looking for a printer/cutter combo that isn't big and bulky (desktop size?) and that wouldn't require the same maintainace as those large printers. I just want something that I can use every once in a while when someone wants some small stickers that could be made using a 8.5"X11" or 12"x12" vinyl/sticker sheets. 

Doesnt need to be high end just as long as it's not complete garbage, it won't be used to often. 

Let me know what ya think! Thanks! 

there are people using coated vinyl with pigment ink and laminating everything but life span is generally short .  for decals to sell and have them be durable you need either a solvent, latex or thermo resin printer.  the smallest one being the roland bn-20n at about $8500.  it is "desktop".   it does not fit you requirement of not needing maint and if it sits long it will require expensive repairs.  latex is the next one but is not "desktop" but uscutter had one last week I believe was under $8000 - it does not have a cutter built in but it is very forgiving if left sitting - I believe you will need a special line run for electricity though.  the last the thermo resin like the gerber edge is quite expensive and cost the most per inch to print.

so if using for yourself and durablity is not an issue use the special coated aqueous vinyls and a pigment printer along with laminate - should get you about a year before the coating starts failing even under the laminate

• Like 3

Trooper, welcome to the sad world of "You can't do that for cheap". Really makes you appreciate a $0.50 vinyl sticker though when you consider all the expense the printer has to bear.  I'm trying to maneuver into position to buy a thermal printer next year but it's a big leap. I added an embroidery machine last year and upgraded it early this year. That gamble has paid off so.... big gamble big rewards or big mistake. It doesn't cost very much to outsource and Dakotagrafx has done most of my stuff for me. I tried out a local guy but have had better experience with Dakota. Jburns has a Gerber thermal printer too and it will print chrome and other wonderful stuff and there are a couple others on the forum who offer their services as well. These guys don't promote themselves but most of us have figured out that they will take care of you if you are looking for help. 

• Like 4

Hey Trooper. If you need anything let me know.  I have a roland vsi540.  If you can't find someone around close or Dakota.  Just give me a yell or PM

anotherthing to watch for, this what a good head test pattern should look like from anyone you use, not everyone maintains to the same level and it shows in detail

P7260018.JPG

• Like 2