Guest Tom

Adding VISIBLE registration marks

Guest Tom

Ok, I've been using VinylMaster Cut for a few months now. I always use the "place registration marks" option for multicolored designs, right in the design page rather than in the spooler (which adds 4) as I only use the top 2. I've been getting the 4 pointed shape with a circle in the middle. This is fine. However, lately, I must have accidentally changed their settings, as they aren't visible anymore when I add them. They're there, but they are squares on a 45 that are only visible in wireframe mode. I want my original settings back! Anyone know what I did, and how to fix it?? Thanks!

1 hour ago, VinylMaster said:

Click the Tools (menu) > Settings and expand General > Registration Marks and set the width and height...

Yup. Done that. It just changes the width and height of the square. I'm not getting my four pointed star so to speak. I don't know what's going on. 

Guest Future Support

It is possible that the current size of the registration marks is invalid. If you go into Tools->Settings and in the "General" section, change the default size of the Registration Marks to Width:  0.100 in  and Height: 0.500 in

Then draw a shape and add the registration marks, and they should appear.

• Like 1

From the beginning, I've had them set at .500 each. And I've always had the shape that I've attached below. As I've said, the marks are there, they are just "invisible" until I switch to a wireframe view, and they are just squares now. I have played with the sizing. All it does is resize my square to the dimensions I choose in that setting. There has to be another setting I'm missing.

regmark.jpg

Nope. Never mind. I completely missed your actual dimensions. This did it! Thanks a million! I can be productive again! woo hoo!

34 minutes ago, Guest Future Support said:

It is possible that the current size of the registration marks is invalid. If you go into Tools->Settings and in the "General" section, change the default size of the Registration Marks to Width:  0.100 in  and Height: 0.500 in

Then draw a shape and add the registration marks, and they should appear.

10 hours ago, Guest Tom said:

Ok, I've been using VinylMaster Cut for a few months now. I always use the "place registration marks" option for multicolored designs, right in the design page rather than in the spooler (which adds 4) as I only use the top 2. I've been getting the 4 pointed shape with a circle in the middle. This is fine. However, lately, I must have accidentally changed their settings, as they aren't visible anymore when I add them. They're there, but they are squares on a 45 that are only visible in wireframe mode. I want my original settings back! Anyone know what I did, and how to fix it?? Thanks!

How are you only getting two registration marks in the design page?  It always places 4 of them there.  Also, I would like to change my stars to squares or rectangles.  Is there a wat to do this?

Guest Future Support

There is a little known trick that allows you to make your own custom registration marks, as many, and in any style you like.

The only thing that separates a registration mark from any other shape you can design, is the color used. This special registration color is applied to every color when the job is sent to the cutter.

The easiest way to set your own custom designed marks to this color is as follows:

1. Draw a shape somewhere, and add registration marks.

2. Select the registration marks (the ones built into the program).

3. On the right side of the screen, in the color pallet area, at the very top you will see a box that shows the currently selected color. If you select the registration marks you just created, you will see the color is set to the "registration color"

Directly underneath this box, there is a small black arrow (facing down), and when you move the mouse over this button, the help text that appears (hint) is "Copy Fill to Reserve Fill". Click on this button to copy the current fill color (in this case the registration color) to the second fill box underneath this button.

4. Design any shapes you want to use for registration marks.

5. Select them, and click on the second fill box, that should be now set to the registration fill color, and the shapes you just created will now be set as registration marks, and will appear in all colors when you send to the spooler.

You can delete the temporary shape and system registration marks you created in step 1, as they where just used as a way to copy the registration color to the color pallet.

• Like 2

What a great tip!  Thanks so much for posting this.  It will save tons of vinyl in the long run, and is much easier then then the way I was doing it.

I must apologize for such a newbie question, but I am new to a lot of the vinyl stuff.  I have a Titan 2 and use VM Pro.  Most of our projects are simple weeded Oracal 651 signs and Easyweed for shirts...  May I ask what the registration marks are for?  Is this so you can print the vinyl on a digital printer, then contour cut that same vinyl on the cutter?  Is there any short tutorial on how to do this contour cutting for the Titan 2 and VM Pro?

I recently watched a youtube video of a guy that prints various emblems on his regular digital home printer using Oracal 651.  He then laminates the printed vinyl.  Then he manually uses scissors to cut out the emblem (then transfer paper and apply).  But he did note that the pros use contour cutting, so I would like to learn how to do that, but I can't find any detailed instructions.  I did find one pdf for the titan 2, but it covered the apple Sure Cuts program and normal 8 1/2 x 11 vinyl.  All of my vinyl supply is 15" or 20" width.  Must I manually cut our the 8 1/2 x 11 first?  And for those that use this process, do you laminate before cutting the outline?  Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Ok, searched youtube and found a video showing how to contour (generic).  This isn't Titan 2 or VM Pro specific.  But I think it might be enough to get me started.  The confusion is the vinyl size... this guy is printing on a normal paper size 11 1/2 x 8.  Then places it on something he calls a "Carrier Sheet".  I looked around uscutter.com and don't see that size for any vinyl.  So my questions are; do you use regular 15" vinyl and cut out the sheet for paper size.  And if I use this carrier sheet, where can I find it or is it really called something else?  Again, a simple instruction (pdf or video) showing this process for the Titan 2 and VM Pro would be so much better...  thanks for any help..

Ok, I found 8 1/2 x 11 vinyl made by Greenstar in packs of 25.  http://www.uscutter.com/Desktop-Printable-Vinyl

I watched the video on that product page and they also use this carrier sheet.  But I can't seem to find it.

The video adds that to use a spray or laminate to last longer.  My question is, if they use laminate, when do you apply it?  Do you laminate right after you digitally print the emblem, then contour cut.  And am I to believe you still cut on the glossy side (now laminate side) for this outdoor type of vinyl?  OR... do you contour cut it THEN laminate the cut out?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I am trying to learn this.

To get a better understanding of the contour cutting process and in VinylMaster click the Help (menu) > Help Topics and read through the Contour Cutting section. 

Also visit this page and you will see a number of general lessons on Contour Cutting:

https://www.youtube.com/user/futurecorporation/videos

Also, you would normally print, laminate and then cut... 

22 hours ago, bigfrank said:

How are you only getting two registration marks in the design page?  It always places 4 of them there.  Also, I would like to change my stars to squares or rectangles.  Is there a wat to do this?

I use the "place registration marks" option from the objects dropdown menu, when I have the objects selected. It adds 4 into your design, and I simply delete the bottom 2. This also allows you to resize them as needed, and place them anywhere else you like, such as closer to the design to save some vinyl.

I don't use the checkbox in the cut dialog. As you said, it makes 4 of them and I don't use the bottom ones, although I've been debating toying with it to see how much better it works for actual registration!

16 hours ago, VinylMaster said:

To get a better understanding of the contour cutting process and in VinylMaster click the Help (menu) > Help Topics and read through the Contour Cutting section. 

Also visit this page and you will see a number of general lessons on Contour Cutting:

https://www.youtube.com/user/futurecorporation/videos

Also, you would normally print, laminate and then cut... 

Great...  that does help.   However, I want to ensure that I understand... so you would calibrate, print the vinyl, laminate, then cut...  of course you would laminate the printed glossy side of the vinyl.  We would cut that same side like normal 651 vinyl, correct?  I ask this because the cutter will be cutting through both the vinyl and the laminate now, which could be pretty thick.

9 hours ago, AboveCreations said:

Great...  that does help.   However, I want to ensure that I understand... so you would calibrate, print the vinyl, laminate, then cut...  of course you would laminate the printed glossy side of the vinyl.  We would cut that same side like normal 651 vinyl, correct?  I ask this because the cutter will be cutting through both the vinyl and the laminate now, which could be pretty thick.

Yes that is the idea.

The force (pressure) may need to be adjusted up (higher), under the Cut Options (tab) of the Vinyl Spooler to cut through both layers.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.