Sign in to follow this  
bigfrank

SC. long straight cuts

I would start with loading the material square-- I like to place my hand in the middle of the sheet while loading, provide tension off the roll then slowly lower the pinch rollers. This kind of squares up the feed.

Next unroll the job length behind the cutter---or provide slack for the job.  Slow down the speed, check pinch roller pressure, -- add a few nodes in the corners of the design so the cuts meet-up.

uscutter say max length is 12 ft. 

Not very long at all, actually.

I even doubt 12' -----  the problem is that when these value cutters feed and run a lot at a time, the vinyl will indeed wander. That being said, if you just cut regular text or designs that don't have long lines, it will go evenly, a bit at a time as it runs through. In those circumstances, I've cut more than 20' and it works.

If you use a program that has the capability to cut in increments you can probably get something closer to what you are wanting although there are still going to be inaccuracies. SignCut Pro has a "Set-by-step" cutting option that will cut a given length before moving along. To give explanation it would cut both sides of the strip in a given user defined distance say... 10" and then move along and cut the next 10" and so on rather than traveling 80 inches down and 80 back. Won't help you much with text work since the cutter is not capable of matching back up on a 100 points as it progresses through a busy job with lots of fine details but it helped me get a few large jobs done that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. 

As stated above, tracking is the issue with trying to cut those stripes.

That said, I cut pinstripes for my truck with my SC cutter.  I think I cut them to 20 feet.

As goose suggested above, I used SignCut Pro and did step by step cutting.  IIRC, I ran it 6 inches per step.  SignCut also, at that time, offered a free trial period to try out the software.

Cal

Here is a link to a post I made of it:

• Like 1

I am running VM Ltd and don't remember seeing the option you speak of.  Maybe not possible with Vinyl master?

I've had luck using Sure Cuts a lot software and getting long straight lines, with the SC speed set at 100mm/S at 100g pressure.  Good to make sure that your clamping pressure on the feeder is sufficient as well.  With mentioned, I was successful in cutting a design with 3 quarter inch pinstripes coming off of it at both sides for a total overall length of 96".  This did take about 30-40 minutes to cut however, so if give yourself time it will do it.  

i cut 85 inches long zig zags with a SC2 for a now ex friends show truck it was a PAIN.... to get it to track stright but all you can do it load it and pause it and run it the whole length you need and if it starts to get off undo pinch rollers move it a lil and try again This is how i did all of the ones for his truck ended up cutting like 10 different times. and few of them were 24 inches wide so the whole machine all it had but it did it mostly a couple got a lil off.

it for sure needs guides for the vinyl and i said i was going to build something for mine but still havn't really hope to never do something that big again