sdgirl

water repellent?

Hi everyone,

I have searched this topic and also have been trying to go through all the threds to see if it has been posted before. I have some carhartt water repellent hoodies. They are cotton and poly blend but they fill a bit hard on the outside. Can use HTV on these? Will the heat hurt them? 

Thanks!

Christi

We tried to do some Carhartt Jackets a little while ago and we were told it couldn't be done because of the water repellent coating.  We came to the conclusion that you can only embroider them.

But I am really curious to see if anyone else has had any luck?

I did some hats a couple years ago. It was a weird waxyish coating but it pressed and stuck. Had me concerned but never had a customer complaint so I can only assume it stuck on there, BUT hats are cheaper to mess up than Carhartt's if there is a problem.

Thanks for replying, I talked to HTW to see about the vinyl sticking. They suggested that you should use rubbing alcohol on a cloth and rub it on the area that is going to have it on and it should be okay. I am not sure if that would take away the sealant? Maybe I should tell them to get me different ones. :(

Totally depends on the type of repellent they are using. You can press HTV on to Duluth Firehose material (which has a waterproof coating).

Maybe see if you can inconspicuously put something on the inside of the bottom hem if the material is sewed over?