plain ol Bill

LED lights on cutter

Somewhere the other day I saw a post where someone had put some LED strip lights on their cutter. Lit it up really nice. Like  a dummy, as usual I failed to bookmark it. Old guys need all the light we can get to see with. Anyone point me to that post please? 

• Like 2

Lighting Ever, http://www.lightingever.com/, has the best prices I've found on LED light strips, under 8 bucks for 16'. They don't come with a power supply, but you can get one from them as well for $8. There are even cheaper power supply options out there if you are comfortable with a little soldering.

• Like 1

after primal sent me pics of his I order a complete set up off amazon. mine included 16ft roll of leds, power supply, and remote control for less than 20 shipped

• Like 1

This is really interesting.  I have old eyes as well.  Can someone please post a pic, so that I can see where they put these lights?  

Thank you ...

15 hours ago, plain ol Bill said:

Somewhere the other day I saw a post where someone had put some LED strip lights on their cutter. Lit it up really nice. Like  a dummy, as usual I failed to bookmark it. Old guys need all the light we can get to see with. Anyone point me to that post please? 

here is mine i posted.

20161118_085521.jpg

20161118_085532.jpg

20160821_091825.jpg

Resized_20160822_191348.jpeg

• Like 4

i got mine on ebay, you need a 12 volts 5 amp power supply and just the led light strip which was about 8-9 buck for a like 15 feet or something like that. get the waterproof ones ,and the strip comes with adhesive already on thew back. just cut at  the length you need.. there are designated spots like every 2-3 inches..

• Like 1

5A supply won't hurt anything, but for a run that short you only need about an amp, if that. Just an FYI.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darcshadow said:

5A supply won't hurt anything, but for a run that short you only need about an amp, if that. Just an FYI.

True , 5 amps was for the whole 16 foot length of the  strip. just go under what it needs for your length.otherwise they either wont power up or wont be at full brightness.

Ordered my stuff after talking to Primal Decals in the last thread.  The parts should be here this weekend!

• Like 1

That's a really cool idea, thanks for sharing.

I want to do a lighted box any way so I can use some strip lights for that too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cardudenc said:

Primal has an awesome lighted table . has pics posted on here.

My next table will be bigger !!

• Like 2

This is absolutely brilliant! Good job guys! :D Do want!

Question: Does this have any negative impact on Automatic Registration Mark Sensor (ARMS) for contour cutting (cutting prints)?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PixelPusher said:

This is absolutely brilliant! Good job guys! :D Do want!

Question: Does this have any negative impact on Automatic Registration Mark Sensor (ARMS) for contour cutting (cutting prints)?

i dont use registration marks with this setup. but i dont do print..This setup allows me to see thru each layer of vinyl and apply as needed perfect 100%.

• Like 1

I have attached some charts I found off of an eBay seller for guidance. My package came to just under $19 shipped to Canada (lousy $0.74 cents/USD exchange rate).

I chose 5630 Cool White LED lights. The Warm White didn't seem bright enough to me. I chose non-waterproof LEDs because my cutter darn well better not get wet or else I have bigger problems I figure.

The one thing I'm curious about is that since 5 m = 16 feet so I will have plenty of lights left over. Can I solder in a second power adapter receiver wire on the off-cut LEDs to be able to use them on my second vinyl cutter? I'd obviously have to purchase a separate remote and power adapter for it too but once the lights are trimmed off with scissors, are they totally useless or can they be salvaged?

Update: I have now seen that you can indeed get additional power receiver adapters (non-solder snap-in ones are also available) to attach to the cut-off lights. There is really all kinds of adapters and parts available for these things. Just have to figure out how it all works once I get the package in a month.

light chart.jpg

combo.jpg

remote.jpg

power_adapter.jpg

There is also a switch available that looks like this. I chose a remote control though which I'll adhesive velcro to the cutter and the back of the remote.

switch.JPG

• Like 1

In a month? where you getting them from wow.. yes you can use the remainder  left over  with another power supply if your using them in another location away from the first set. otherwise if they are close enought to the others ,you can wire them in together... The reason i went with waterproof  was because if any humidity or moisture in the air gets on them they will corrode at some point...so i chose to take a precaution. If you have any questions drop me a message ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Primal Decals said:

In a month? where you getting them from wow.. yes you can use the remainder  left over  with another power supply if your using them in another location away from the first set. otherwise if they are close enough to the others ,you can wire them in together... The reason i went with waterproof  was because if any humidity or moisture in the air gets on them they will corrode at some point...so i chose to take a precaution. If you have any questions drop me a message ..

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate the offer to answer questions. I'm getting this stuff from good old China. Everything takes 20-30 days to ship from China to Canada. Even if I would have purchased from the US it would take about 20 days to get here (and I have to deal with customs and insane shipping costs). Shipping is via mail and only cost $1.75 out of the $19 price. I'm used to it by now. In fact, when things show up it's kind of like Christmas because I've usually forgotten about it by the time it shows up...I get a cheap thrill out of checking the mail and finding a package. If I could have got everything closer at a decent cost, including shipping, I would have done so. Canadian prices for all the parts necessary were too high. So I'll wait impatiently...

I see your reasoning for choosing waterproof lights. Here, it's practically a desert so incredibly dry (even in winter) so I cheaped out and saved a whopping $3. If it becomes that big of a deal to me down the road I'll upgrade. At $19 for everything shipped, I'm cool with taking that risk.  

• Like 1

Ordered my lights, power transformer and a roll of red & black wire (for future use) from Amazon Thursday evening and it was in my mail box Friday afternoon - dang, wonder what took them so long to get it here. 26 bucks including WA taxes (grrr).

• Like 2