livinloudgraphics

vinyl removal

VInyl removal on a banner!!! Customer insisted on using his old banner now that i got the vinyl  off what is the best solution for the sticky removal of the leftover?

ps ive used alcohol 

Goof Off. Or depending on the kind of banner, fingernail polish remover.

• Like 1

GooGone -- it's a citrus-based product, very effective for removing leftover adhesive.

I buy mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $2 a bottle.

Some people say that  making your own is simple ---

goo-gone1.jpg

• Like 1

make sure you labor charge for cleaning off all that extra glue comes out to more than the cost of just a new banner...... your welcome.

• Like 2

Don't know what effect it would have on the banner material, but VM&P Naphtha is suppose to work really well at removing adhesive. It was recommended to me for removal of adhesive from cups when powder coating. I have not tried it yet, so far Acetone has worked for what I needed.

Banners by their very nature are temporary signage - like above if I quoted I am sure the labor and materials to remove anything would be more than a new banner - and with uv exposure already will the customer be disappointed when it fails quicker than they planed?   

• Like 1

not sure on a white banner, but I know for sure goo gone removes the color on a yellow banner. I wouldn't never try to remove that much adhesive. we was just trying to get rid of some residue left where he used to tape it on last time.

we re-use old banner all the time, we do time/date/place changes and so on.  One of our oldest banners that a customer still brings us every year to hang over a street is 12 years old.

RapidTac makes a Rapid Remover, citrus based adhesive remover, that works better than Goo-B-Gone.  Makes it pretty fast to change letters.

Unless of course you are trying to strip everything off of the old banner than that is just a waste of time/money.  But hey if they're paying! :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FrznFire07 said:

we re-use old banner all the time, we do time/date/place changes and so on.  One of our oldest banners that a customer still brings us every year to hang over a street is 12 years old.

RapidTac makes a Rapid Remover, citrus based adhesive remover, that works better than Goo-B-Gone.  Makes it pretty fast to change letters.

Unless of course you are trying to strip everything off of the old banner than that is just a waste of time/money.  But hey if they're paying! :D

Agreed..... if it is just a date or something simple.... sure but thats about the limit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xpaperman said:

Agreed..... if it is just a date or something simple.... sure but thats about the limit.

yea we get customers all the time who bring in a banner and ask "how to much to re-purpose this?" I've come to hate the expression re-purpose, it ends up being way to much time and money.  Anymore we just tell them we won't strip their old banner, if they want to bring in a CLEAN banner to use that's fine but other than that, just no.

I agree with previous posts. I did one once that was a few very simple letters and we just pulled them off and then covered the whole thing with a new layer of white (on a white banner) and then built on that. You could still see the old glue residue showing through if you got up close. The customer was ok with it but finally saw what we were trying to tell her and agreed to just buy a new one next time. The really dumb this is at the end of the day the cost was actually higher than a new one would have been.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 11:51 AM, Wildgoose said:

I agree with previous posts. I did one once that was a few very simple letters and we just pulled them off and then covered the whole thing with a new layer of white (on a white banner) and then built on that. You could still see the old glue residue showing through if you got up close. The customer was ok with it but finally saw what we were trying to tell her and agreed to just buy a new one next time. The really dumb this is at the end of the day the cost was actually higher than a new one would have been.

yes it was im not sure what the usual quote is on something like this you all do it your area. but i charged $35 for it (with removal and all ) the customer was happy. But i showed him the same thing as the shadows were on it. But he seemed ok with it. MAde him sign a waiver stating thats how he wanted it and there would be no bad talk if it came up because i tryed to sell him a new printed one at a discounted price