marebear1956

New from Southern California with questions too

Hi All,  

I'm new to this forum and excited to be here. Presently I have a silhouette cameo using their program. I paint signs as well as graphics on furniture. But mainly I buy at auctions and resale things.  Due to some current health issues I guess my auction business might be coming to an end as it's pretty physical work. I had been thinking for the last year of making Mylar stencils. I currently buy them from a gal in Canada as she makes them at out 10mil Mylar and I love them. My question, I have a Mac computer. What machine would you recommend for cutting not only vinyl,but 10mil Mylar?  My cameo is not capable of cutting this thick.  

Thanks in advance 

You are going to spend a decent amount of money on a cutter that can hog through 10 mil Mylar. Graphtec FC series, Summa S class, The titan boasts really high pressure but I have never seen it actually head to head with a name brand cutter. Like the previous post if I have to cut through something touch like that I make more than one pass. Sometimes up to three. As far as Mac goes there are a few mac options out there including SignCut Pro (my personal favorite just ask about any one that knows me)

• Like 1

Question, why mylar? If it's because you can reuse it multiple times, that makes sense when buying the stencil, but if you have the ability to create stencils when ever you need them vinyl would work, would be cheaper, and any cutter could do the job. Depending on how detailed you may want something better than a value cutter, but even those can do pretty decent work.

• Like 1