aent

Using as pen plotter

Hi all,

I work in construction and was toying with the idea of starting to make signs and decals in house and trying to figure out how much it will cost me, but when I noticed you can put a pen on them and use them as a pen plotter as well, I was wondering... is this good enough as a pen plotter to make construction blueprints? i.e, will the Titan 2 be able to legibly write small text/numbers that is perhaps 8 or 10 pts? Does anyone have any pictures of samples of small text out of this machine?

I was leaning towards the SC series originally, and have the same questions about that machine if anyone has both? If I can't reliably do blueprints or the other one can do it too, I'd like to save the money and get that one instead. I won't be printing too many blueprints on it, most will likely go to my 13" wide format printer I already have, but some plans need to be on 24" where I currently need to run to a print shop to pick up and I definitely don't do enough volume to warrant buying a dedicated wide format printer.

Or am I not being realistic hoping for a dual purpose machine?

I have the titan 2  28"( 24") cutter and just love it..this is where it falls with the other cutters and where the other cutters fall. I suggest dont go with a low end cutter seriously.  http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/static/subpage/buying_guides_new    , i will do a test on the 8-10 points for you ,Not sure if you need a special pen for doing blue prints but that titan 2 is amazing  and on sale right now at an amazing price..http://www.uscutter.com/TITAN-2-Vinyl-Cutter-28-53-68-inch.

I dont care for the software in my own opinion that is.Ive learned Vm and just didnt like the work around etc.I use scalps 4pro and is great..ill let you know on the test...

So i tried the pen plotter at 10 points and the standard pen that comes with the cutter i think is a medium point pen, and when it did write it was ok but due the being a wide pen tip it wasnt clear and made the writing to close cause its wide tip,I didnt  have a fine point to put in it, but i think after seeing what it did with the medium point that a fine point should work fine.maybe someone has a fine point to put in it or i will get one later and try it and let you know the end results with a fine tip...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

So i tried the pen plotter at 10 points and the standard pen that comes with the cutter i think is a medium point pen, and when it did write it was ok but due the being a wide pen tip it wasnt clear and made the writing to close cause its wide tip,I didnt  have a fine point to put in it, but i think after seeing what it did with the medium point that a fine point should work fine.maybe someone has a fine point to put in it or i will get one later and try it and let you know the end results with a fine tip...

Thanks so much for your information! I'm hoping someone can test it soon and post a picture, if it comes out well I'm ready to order it!

• Like 1

not knowing exactly what size that is, but knowing there are 72 points to an inch, my calculator puts 8pt at 0.1111111111" 

i have routinely done 1/8" letters, or 0.125", which is pretty damn close, on my mh series machine, so the titan, being a step up, should hopefully be able to do that or better, id imagine. 

The biggest factor is probably the pen tip. All of the pens I have ever seen un use or used myself are felt tip not roller ball so there would be a limit to some details just from that but otherwise I imagine it would be fine. Just need a dxf file. 

3 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

The biggest factor is probably the pen tip. All of the pens I have ever seen un use or used myself are felt tip not roller ball so there would be a limit to some details just from that but otherwise I imagine it would be fine. Just need a dxf file. 

the tip is the biggest thing for sure.Im getting a fine tip today to test it..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

the tip is the biggest thing for sure.Im getting a fine tip today to test it..

Thank you so much! Can't wait to see it! Happy thanksgiving!

i use a ball point pen. 

i just take a regular bic pen and wrap tape around it until its thick enough to fit in the carriage. thats all, no other mods. i never actually tried the pen attachment that came with the machine.  

• Like 1

By playing with the blade offset and over cut you can get it to draw pretty good.This was just a quick try with a quick setting change..

This was in scalps and the original  blade setting was .30mm and offset was 1.00mm which wasnt the best. i was impressed after the setting change tho.. Oh this was used with a .07 mm fine tip pen from the dollar store. there are .05mm but you probably have to go to walmart that has a better selection.. But at least you can do this ..

20161126_131614.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/25/2016 at 1:41 PM, signyouup said:

The thing about blueprints is there are usually multiple line widths.

I did think of that and am aware of that issue... but thankfully the plans I print at the 24" width do not use the line width to indicate anything. I still plan to use my 13" wide format printer for most of the plans including all of them where line width matters, but saving me from having to run to the print shop 99% of the time is a big benefit. 

2 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

By playing with the blade offset and over cut you can get it to draw pretty good.This was just a quick try with a quick setting change..

This was in scalps and the original  blade setting was .30mm and offset was 1.00mm which wasnt the best. i was impressed after the setting change tho.. Oh this was used with a .07 mm fine tip pen from the dollar store. there are .05mm but you probably have to go to walmart that has a better selection.. But at least you can do this ..

Thank you again so much for all your help! I just ordered this thing... I can't wait to get playing with it next week! You definitely helped convince me to spend a few extra bucks, so my wallet should be mad and USCutter should be happy with you! lol I'm sure I'll have questions next week after I get playing with it

send me a message anytime  and i ll try to help..what cutter did you decide on? i think if was to change the blade offset to .02 or .01 it would be even cleaner lol..

• Like 1

The Titan 2, I figured it was the cheapest cutter that could do anything I could possibly want to do

• Like 1

You shouldn't need a blade offset when using a pen, a setting of 0 should give the best results. Blade offset is to account for the fact that the tip of the blade is not centered in the holder. That would not be the case with a pen.

• Like 1

Is there any particular pen that works well?  Recommendations?  24" Blueprints will be a huge bonus for me since I hate 11" x 17".

You are limited to what will fit in the holder. I prefer a good ball point.

4 hours ago, bikemike said:

You are limited to what will fit in the holder. I prefer a good ball point.

Is there a pressurized pen option for the Titan similar to the Roland one.

2 minutes ago, bikemike said:

If I am not mistaken, the titan use's a Roland blade holder?

roland style blade- holder may differ from a conversation some one else had

Sounds like I need to call USCutter Monday and see if they have any answers.  I was already excited about the plotter, but this idea has me ecstatic.

Just remember, no line width using a pen. But ya, it does work good otherwise.

1 hour ago, bikemike said:

Good point. who was it making holders? Maybe one for the titan?

MB20music... Can definitely vouch for the sharpie holders... they have been a real asset.

1 hour ago, bikemike said:

Just remember, no line width using a pen. But ya, it does work good otherwise.

Prints for my purpose don't need dimensional lines.  I install and service building automation systems, I'm just happy not having to use 11"x17" prints on an install.  I mostly need equipment locations and schedules.  The schematics I draw don't need to be to scale so folded 11"x17"s in a book are fine.