Bigg_Billy

New Guy From MA

Hello everyone,

I've been out of the sign racket for about 10 years, used to have an Anagraph system at work and retired as Gerber was coming in.  I'm looking to get a system to fart around with at home, things have come a long way since just cutting vinyl text and shapes.  So looking for inexpensive but good software and a plotter/cutter to work on vinyl just to make up simple signs and decals, stuff you see in country stores etc.  One question I have right off, I've seen multi-color pictures and the screen, how do all the colors get on the vinyl?  In the olden days you cut one color at a time...do they just get printed on white vinyl now?  What would protect the "ink" from weather.

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome Bigg_Billy/ Glad to see you made it from the other forum..You wont be disappointed.Great people here.. Which include Wildgoose,Dakotagrafx,Mark-s,Moody Blue,Busterbay,DNA_Vinyl,Mrfibble and many more i may have overlooked lol(sorry guys) .. 

Most things are printed on vinyl now with special inks and someone will chime in with the info you ask. For me i do layers not printed..

• Like 1

Welcome from Idaho. 

For what you are talking about you will likely be still doing layered work just like you used to. Vinyl capable printers are in the 12K range which prohibits most of the hobbyists from going that direction unless you have loads of extra spending $$$ to play with. I do a lot of work commercially and have yet to make the leap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigg_Billy said:

i would pass lol.. I responded to your message you sent me..

Billy, whazzup?

"I'm looking to get a system to fart around with at home..."

Fair enough, here's my input ---  spend UNDER $300 and get the MH871. The VM basic software is very efficient for design and cut, with a relatively short learning curve.

SALE $289.99 Free Shipping

You can literally earn your investment back in ONE decent big sign job for a local business.

I am using this machine daily in a retail environment, it kicks a&&.

DSCN0647.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks, I like the price of that set up, I have a friend that has a little country store, where they have some small sign requests from time to time...I'd probably never get into the size you have there...looks nice, thanks for that info...Bill

35 minutes ago, Bigg_Billy said:

Thanks, I like the price of that set up, I have a friend that has a little country store, where they have some small sign requests from time to time...I'd probably never get into the size you have there...looks nice, thanks for that info...Bill

Never say you wont get into something that size lol...You  just might with one customer . > said i would never get into doing wraps or partial wraps and ended up doing an 8 passenger veterans  bus lol.If you can do it you will , money is the key word.. Just choose what ever cutter is in your budget,you can always upgrade if needed..But it wont take you long to earn it lol.

For sure, Primal, the 30" width is not used all the time, but when I want to cover a 3' width in one shot, I run 30" vinyl (actual design workspace on that is 29", leaving 1/2" on each side of the vinyl going through the machine, and providing 3.5" margins from the substrate edges when applying).

I don't keep a lot of 30" vinyl in stock, just Black, Red, White, Blue and a roll of 30" app tape on a handmade dispenser.

• Like 1