Hello, 

I recently bought the sc series 34 in cutter and started having the issue of it stopping in mid job. Sometimes this could be one 5inx6in decal. I looked it up on here and at first it said the driver was out of date for my version of OS on my computer. So it was and I downloaded the latest version. It fixed it or so I thought because after cutting a couple of the same decals I decided to try and cut a sheet of 6...It cut all the way through except for the last 1/4 in of a circle. I'm thinking that it is static electricity. I bought the anti-static kit from here and will try that. Any other pointers you all could throw my way. I am new to this and just wanting to make sure its a rookie mistake and not something wrong with the cutter.

The budget cutters fight static as you mentioned and also memory. I used to run a P-Cut and static was the biggest issue. I just bought a can of anti-static spray. Solved most of my glitch issues. The memory thing is harder to know how many copies you can cut. Trial and error. I was only ever able to cut about 8 copies of anything safely and larger stuff I didn't try because I'm a vinyl miser and didn't want to waste any if I guessed wrong. This was in large part why I upgraded once I had enough volume to justify it. 

I would say static is more likely than memory. While memory can be an issue, I've cut some very node heaving graphics on an MH with no memory issues.

Ive never had an issue until now. earlier I cut single decals. just tried to do a run of 6 and it stopped during the 5th. I don't have the anti static , but after reading about static issues and seems colder weather it is worse. I just ran a ground wire from the ground lug under my cutter to my stand. I think this maybe my 1st attempt cutting multiples since that.

where all did you spray the anti static?

I was also wondering if there was another option with what I was trying to cut besides just cutting off the cutter and starting over

I sprayed the anti-static all around the machine especially in back and along the floor. Anywhere you can feel the hair stand up on your arm. I never was comfortable spraying the vinyl. Worried it would cause issues with the app tape. 

Thank you for posting this, I have been pulling the small amount of hair I have out over this issue! I went a step further than the spray and just ran a wire from the ground nut (why didn't I notice that before???) to the ground on the wall. Problem solved!

It's no wonder this works, the plotter head is basically creating a Van de Graaff generator. It's really the same principle.

Image result for van de graaff generatorImage result for van de graaff generator

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, willingandablesigns said:

Thank you for posting this, I have been pulling the small amount of hair I have out over this issue! I went a step further than the spray and just ran a wire from the ground nut (why didn't I notice that before???) to the ground on the wall. Problem solved!

It's no wonder this works, the plotter head is basically creating a Van de Graaff generator. It's really the same principle.

the plotter is grounded thru the wall plug - that stand though does store a lot of energy this time of year - the value machines don't have the stands grounded thru the mounts like the higher end machines as the contact points are usually painted or sitting on rubber feet.

glad you got it worked out

• Like 1

So if I'm reading correctly. your saying you ran a wire from that grounding lug on the machine to outlet. I move mine around so would be tough for me to ground it like that. don't think Ive seen anyone else try that. I'm sure that grounds things tho. I saw 1 cutters add that it came with 1 of the old plug adapters that had a wire on it that you screwed to the outlet. but don't see where you need that with a 3 prong cord.

@Dakotagrafx , yep my stand had huge holes that even though the instructions online showed to remove the rubber feet to install cutter on stand, mine would go right thru them. when this started I took them off and added big washers

The plotter itself is grounded thru the plug, that stand remains isolated until you run a ground wire from the stand to the plotter.  That has been the problem