Got my new 15x15 clamshell heat press this week. Gonna use it for the first time today. I can't find much info on it. My only question is the thick black pad that's in it. What's that for? It was stuck to the top platen originally, but I noticed it fell off. Is it supposed to be on the top? I'm thinking it was just stuck there and it's supposed to be on the bottom and that's what you set the shirt on. I just want to be sure. Thanks 

Yes, On the bottom. You should also pick up a teflon sheet to put on top of the transfer to prevent anything sticking to the top platen.

6 hours ago, Jhamelton said:

Got my new 15x15 clamshell heat press this week. Gonna use it for the first time today. I can't find much info on it. My only question is the thick black pad that's in it. What's that for? It was stuck to the top platen originally, but I noticed it fell off. Is it supposed to be on the top? I'm thinking it was just stuck there and it's supposed to be on the bottom and that's what you set the shirt on. I just want to be sure. Thanks 

Let me know how that press works out and any info you learn on it... what printer setup are you using with it? Thanks and enjoy,

They sell a teflon cover for the bottom platen that is worth the money. It will wrap and hold that lower pad in place and let garments slide on and off much easier which helps getting things centered. Also keeps things from sticking if you have something on the bottom when you press the top. I made one once out of a piece of teflon sheet but mine sucked compared to the ones with elastic sewn all around that wrap the platen good. For top cover sheets try some parchment paper like you use to back cookies. Cheap, semitransparent won't stick to anything and you can press hundreds of items before they start to get cooked. They work great for multi-layered effects that you need to cover areas that is exposed when the second layer goes on. Also easily purchased at Walmart or similar late in the evening on a Saturday night when you run out. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

They sell a teflon cover for the bottom platen that is worth the money. It will wrap and hold that lower pad in place and let garments slide on and off much easier which helps getting things centered. Also keeps things from sticking if you have something on the bottom when you press the top. I made one once out of a piece of teflon sheet but mine sucked compared to the ones with elastic sewn all around that wrap the platen good. For top cover sheets try some parchment paper like you use to back cookies. Cheap, semitransparent won't stick to anything and you can press hundreds of items before they start to get cooked. They work great for multi-layered effects that you need to cover areas that is exposed when the second layer goes on. Also easily purchased at Walmart or similar late in the evening on a Saturday night when you run out. 

I think wildgoose should change his name to TOPGOOSE lol.... you rock buddy

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

Let me know how that press works out and any info you learn on it... what printer setup are you using with it? Thanks and enjoy,

just using heat transfer vinyl with it. not printing

Forgive me in advance! I got my new 15x15 heat press and I haven't a clue how to set the temperature or the timer! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 hours ago, Daijionsmom said:

Forgive me in advance! I got my new 15x15 heat press and I haven't a clue how to set the temperature or the timer! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What press did you get?   I ended up getting the Hotronix Fusion 16x20..  what a beast .it works awesome. thanks to wildgoose for the help.

Each press is a little different but essentially they all work the same and even if you had supplied the information I doubt anyone is going to have a user manual sitting around. You will just have to play around with the buttons but there should be one that will allow you to set the time and the temp. Temp is probably in Celsius but may have an option to switch to F. Don't trust the temp because it will probably be off. I suggest using an infrared thermometer gun to verify the temp. Some control boxes will allow you to adjust the temp reading to correlate to actual some don't or aren't apparent. My first cheap press was off by quite a ways and I never figured out if there was a way to adjust it so I just made a little card that had the actual temps for the stuff I do and taped in on the side for reference.