kainth.c.s

Suggestions required for cutting pin stripes and thin strips on vinyl cutter

Hi Felow

I have been approached by someone who wants thin strips to be put on his buses in 3 different colors. The strips are to be a  1.8 to 3 metres long and 100 mm wide to cover a part of the bus body which is about 6.5 meters long.  I have creation pcut CT630 and have following two issues:

1. While cutting long strips the vinyl cutter has started stalling and ruining the job. I recently put up a new blade and had to lower the press setting . Has this got anything to do with this?

2. In such long lengths I found on the forums that this cutter has issues while returning to the start point  at thecompletion of the shape. Has anyone else faced this issue as well. Please share your inputs.

Apart from that any other suggestions from all esteemed members ... please welcome. It is my first lengthy job and I am a bit nervous about the cutter's performance.

The setting I will be using are: Press 80, Cutting speed 60, Flexi sign 10, RS 232 Connector COM Port.

Regards

Singh

Hello,

yes that cutter may have trouble closing cuts at that length.

you can assist it with unrolling the material , and make sure the machine doesn't have to "tug" it thru the rollers

• Like 1

Also to help with closing the shape, you could also draw the box as four individual lines that extend just slightly past the corners. This way the cutter is simply making four straight lines and the final shape is guaranteed to be closed since all the lines will overlap on the corners.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jburns said:

Hello,

yes that cutter may have trouble closing cuts at that length.

you can assist it with unrolling the material , and make sure the machine doesn't have to "tug" it thru the rollers

Hi

Thanks for your valueable input brother.

I couldn't get the saying " the machine doesn't have to "tug" it thru the rollers ".  Please tell what it means brother.

Regards

Singh

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

Also to help with closing the shape, you could also draw the box as four individual lines that extend just slightly past the corners. This way the cutter is simply making four straight lines and the final shape is guaranteed to be closed since all the lines will overlap on the corners.

Hello brother

An excellent idea, but in that way the cutter will keep on going randomly through the vinyl. Do you or anyone else know of any process by which I can select the shapes in a sequence. e.g. If I am to cut DARCSHADOW, the cutter cuts DARC in serial order, then goes to W,D,H and all the random ways. Is there any way you know or anyone else knows on how to manually select the sequence of cutting brother. Please note I am using FLEXI 10 Basic/Starter pack for the cutting

REgards

Singh

Some cutting software will allow you to cut in sequence. SignCut Pro does evidently your Flexi 10 doesn't. In SignCut you can use a special setting called Step-by-step cutting and it lets you set a distance that it will cut before moving on. So you can tell it to cut in 20 cm increments and it will cut everything in that 20cm section then move to the next 20cm etc... Works pretty good on long simple items. If you have a P-Cut then it will help. I used to have a P-Cut myself. It does NOT help as much with complicated designs or those with lots of text because the cutter isn't accurate enough to connect a whole bunch of lines when it moves forward so you have to be a little selective.  

• Like 1

SIgnblazer has an option to minimize vinyl movement, minimize carnage movement, and a 3rd option that I don't recall right now. But I've never noticed it jumping all over the place.

18 hours ago, kainth.c.s said:

Hi

Thanks for your valueable input brother.

I couldn't get the saying " the machine doesn't have to "tug" it thru the rollers ".  Please tell what it means brother.

Regards

Singh

So basically, dont let the machine unroll the vinyl roll-  you should let the length you need to sag behind the machine.  Its hard for that drive motor to pull - or unroll the material by itself.

• Like 3

Oh heck ya! unroll what you need.

1> knocks the tracking way off.

2> sends the roll flying across the floor (good luck getting all the dust off it)

3> will trash the plastic gears in your cutter feed.

4> makes you cut what you just tried to cut again. (after you fix #2)

May be the same width at the ends, (maybe) but I don't think they would be the same over the entire length.

On 11/10/2016 at 9:51 PM, Wildgoose said:

Some cutting software will allow you to cut in sequence. SignCut Pro does evidently your Flexi 10 doesn't. In SignCut you can use a special setting called Step-by-step cutting and it lets you set a distance that it will cut before moving on. So you can tell it to cut in 20 cm increments and it will cut everything in that 20cm section then move to the next 20cm etc... Works pretty good on long simple items. If you have a P-Cut then it will help. I used to have a P-Cut myself. It does NOT help as much with complicated designs or those with lots of text because the cutter isn't accurate enough to connect a whole bunch of lines when it moves forward so you have to be a little selective.  

I do have PCut but I don't have Signblazer with me. So I will be dependent on flexi 0. I have planned for maximum of 1.5 metres increments

On 11/11/2016 at 10:42 AM, Jburns said:

So basically, dont let the machine unroll the vinyl roll-  you should let the length you need to sag behind the machine.  Its hard for that drive motor to pull - or unroll the material by itself.

Brother is it worth of cutting the vinyl into 2 metres panels and then give it a try?????. I order 20 metres at a time, not the whole roll. You may be right as 20 metres may be toomuch as I have experienced machine stalling however I cut the strips previously in 30 metres which was fine

Would it be simpler to buy pinstriping of the correct width and color than cutting your own?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jmas said:

Would it be simpler to buy pinstriping of the correct width and color than cutting your own?

Thanks a lot mate. I will shop around to have a look if it is available.

i had issues with my mh series for the first time ever after years of use  doing this some time back. it was static generated from the roll unrolling killing it. as was said, unroll and wipe down to dissipate the static and it cut fine (6' in my case, so almost 2 meters) i had no tracking issues at all. 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2016 at 10:41 AM, deth502 said:

i had issues with my mh series for the first time ever after years of use  doing this some time back. it was static generated from the roll unrolling killing it. as was said, unroll and wipe down to dissipate the static and it cut fine (6' in my case, so almost 2 meters) i had no tracking issues at all. 

Thanks buddy... You have a strong logic behind your claim. I'll give it a try and will let you know once it is done.

On 14/11/2016 at 3:17 PM, jmas said:

I had checked it out and found that the pinstripes are available over here. Thanks for letting me know