i have a customer that wants decals made. We got into a decal agreement and we both like it the decal will be a 5x7(give or take) for a youth bowling group. They will be doing a fundraiser for the group. Needless to say i think ive been undercharging for decals, But i have repeat customers and they love my prices. But im at the point where if i charge $8 for a decal others are charging $12. i know they may have more overhead than i do but my customers insist on raising my prices. so with that be said i have a pricing calculator set up and its basically saying for 50 decals 5x7 at a moderate weeding job would be $130.15  (around $2.60 per decal) would the software be correct or am i just crazy Remember this is a fundraiser but im not trying to screw myself or the customer neither. 

So by my calculations if they are correct my app tape @ 12 inches by 100 yards is $38.98 (plus shipping $9.99) = $48.97 which is $0.001 per sq inch and $0.16 per sq ft. the vinyl 0651 is $24.24 (plus shipping $9.99) = $31.98 which is $0.004 sq in and $0.53 per sq ft

if my math  and software is correct the total on my end just for app tape and vinyl is $8.75?

Then i would add my labor, design fee and all in correct?

what is the usual labor charge per shop by the hour? some say $25 per hr and bigger ones tell me $75  and some say design charges are $25 per customer no matter what the design, but im not trying to make a killing or overcharge customer and i want to be fair on both ends because i was told i was too cheap and needed to go up on pricing. 

if not please guide me into the right direction

To me personally, $25 per hour is a little low, and $75 per hour is pretty steep. If you're trying to do this for a living I would say around $50-$60 per hour would be a reasonable rate. But there is always the fudge factor. Customers expect a certain price and if it's too low they think the product is cheap, if it's too high, they go some place else. I always look at it as what would I pay for this, and then bump it up a little cause I'm a cheap bastard.  :)

15 hours ago, livinloudgraphics said:

So by my calculations if they are correct my app tape @ 12 inches by 100 yards is $38.98 (plus shipping $9.99) = $48.97 which is $0.001 per sq inch and $0.16 per sq ft. the vinyl 0651 is $24.24 (plus shipping $9.99) = $31.98 which is $0.004 sq in and $0.53 per sq ft

if my math  and software is correct the total on my end just for app tape and vinyl is $8.75?

Then i would add my labor, design fee and all in correct?

what is the usual labor charge per shop by the hour? some say $25 per hr and bigger ones tell me $75  and some say design charges are $25 per customer no matter what the design, but im not trying to make a killing or overcharge customer and i want to be fair on both ends because i was told i was too cheap and needed to go up on pricing. 

if not please guide me into the right direction

I didnt check your math ,but thats about how it comes out,,Very little for material costs...... When i first go into this i said the same thing lol..I do this on the side ,so i make my costs etc what i feel makes me happy and as long as i get paid for material plus some,my time and and i can be lower than the big boy shops im good with what i make...I  know im nowhere near what some people think i should be at for charging but thats on me.Like i said as long as im happy with what im making then im good with it,,

For example------If im only charging 150.00 for some decals and the shops are at 200.00 + and i only have 1 to 2 hours into the whole thing start to finish, i think $75.00 an hours is mighty good....even if a job makes me 20.00 an hour , thats still very good compared to a minimum wage job................. Having better/lower prices has brought me in a lot more work which makes up for the difference in the end..I am doing very well lol.

Its all on what makes you happy in the end when the customer drops some cash in your hand with a smile on their face as well...

• Like 1