kainth.c.s

Guidance required on taping the decals before installation

Hi

Please have a look at the vinyl decal I cut for the panel in black vinyl.

I checked on the internet and found mixed opinions about whether to tape the whole decal or not. Please throw some light on this whether it is a good thing to tape the whole decal or just at the openings? I found that after taping, it went on quite stiff.

WP_20161109_08_22_44_Pro.jpg

I concur with slice. Tape it. You will get all kinds of stretch you wouldn't believe without it. Ask me how I know. 

if you tape it it wont stretch if you tape part it will stretch were there is no tape and wont where the tape is learned the hard way

Sortee

Thanks for your input buddy. I was thinking if I could only tape the cutouts and leave rest of the vinyl as it is and apply it wet with shampoo solution (it worked for me way better than soapy water), leave it for an hour or so before removing the tap from the cut outs?

Wildgoose

I couldn't get this part of the comment: You will get all kinds of stretch you wouldn't believe without it

Just pealing it from the backing will stretch it some. I've used this technique for small decals that I'm using as stencils so the un tapped area doesn't matter, but even on small decals the vinyl stretches a little while pealing it off the backing.

• Like 2

I meant what darcshadow said. As you try to get it installed it will stretch and grow in length. Less of an issue if you have no other layers to match with it and no length constraints. If you don't have the app tape there as protection then you also have to use a felt squeegee to keep from scratching it up too. I put a long plain piece on one time without tape and it ended up a couple inches longer than expected. Luckily it was on glass and I was able to cut the end off in place so it still fit inside the frame. 

• Like 1