Sign in to follow this  
vickwithpc

Tiny cuts sticking to blade

I am cutting oracle 631, with red 45degree blade.  I have letters that are 1/8 inch in height.  I cannnot find the sweet spot to get a cut without the vinyl sticking to the blade.  I've tried various speeds and force.  Is there a guideline out there for setting guidelines?

First of all, welcome.

I would disassemble the entire blade holder and make sure the blade spins 360* freely --- take out the blade and add a drop of sewing machine oil into the bearing hole.

welcome. i always use dry graphite for my blade holders. that said, its very hard for me to do as well, it takes a VERY delicate balance of pressure and speed. ive found the blade exposure dosent have much to do with it (as long as its sufficient) but DO make sure it working properly as stated above. 

1/8" is very small text, 60 degree blades are recommended when cutting text that small (and for intricate details).

Also, you want to cut very slowly. 

I don't know if the Titan's can go that small with good results, if you cut that small it is best to use a Graphtec FC series which unfortunately are very pricey...

1/8 letters? No wonder you are getting stuff in the holder. You need a printer. How big is the hole in an R or maybe the holes in a B? Asking a lot if you ask me. Oil ain't going to fix that problem. 

I spray my blade with WD-40 to keep things from sticking to it.

If you have the servo version, your best and closest chances would be to try:

1. 60 degree blade- exposed just enough to cut thru vinyl --2. quality blade holder --3. very slow cutting. 4. Premium vinyl - switch to cast 751. 

631 is for interior application - cant imagine trying to stick those letters to a wall? 

even if the above is successful- you may have to use a reverse- weeding technique to keep the letters on the paper. 

Good luck! ( pic below from FC).

Wow Small 1.jpg

Even high quality vinyl will have issues with adhesion at that size if you manage to get it cut. If you read the technical info and it will tell you the recommended minimum width for the thinnest letter, usually 1/8". That being said we all do it now and again and things still hold. 631 not so much, 651 meh probably not going to work very consistent at that size either.  Try some 751 or 951, you can buy it by the foot now-adays. The reverse weed that Jburns mentioned it to leave the inside of the tiny letters in place until it's installed and then pick them out carefully. It works pretty good.