Macee80

New from Pa

Hello everyone, Jason here. 

Recently went out in a limb and bought a Roland gx-400.  always wanted to make vinyl decals and things of that nature. 

I bought the cutter used and it did not come with any cutting software. 

I also bought a copy of coreldraw x6, I know it's an older version, but I was looking for something for beginners

i use autocad and inventor everyday for many years as my trade, I'm hoping that Corel draw is just as easy to pick up, as those two programs 

was coreldraw a good selection? Or should I have done a little more research? 

IMG_4245.JPG

Hi, I have not just yet, haven't gotten my vinyl or software yet. 

Im trying to be as patient as I can 

1 hour ago, Macee80 said:

Hi, I have not just yet, haven't gotten my vinyl or software yet. 

Im trying to be as patient as I can 

Here's a suggestion -- download FREE SignBlazer.

INSTALLER

Remove the blade from the carriage, and then let the machine run to make sure everything works and familiarize yourself with it.

Welcome Jason.

I use CorelDraw every day and actually prefer it to Adobe Illustrator for most of my vectoring and designing.

Although I like Photoshop over Corel's Photo-Paint.

Like any program...start with small stuff while you learn.

Sue2

On 11/3/2016 at 10:39 AM, Macee80 said:

Hello everyone, Jason here. 

Recently went out in a limb and bought a Roland gx-400.  always wanted to make vinyl decals and things of that nature. 

I bought the cutter used and it did not come with any cutting software. 

I also bought a copy of coreldraw x6, I know it's an older version, but I was looking for something for beginners

i use autocad and inventor everyday for many years as my trade, I'm hoping that Corel draw is just as easy to pick up, as those two programs 

was coreldraw a good selection? Or should I have done a little more research? 

IMG_4245.JPG

Nothing wrong with X6. It was the new hot item just a few years back. Most vector work is simple enough that you don't need to have the top of the line program to get it done. 

I would recommend giving SignCut Pro1 a try. It is a dedicated cutting utility and will have a plug-in for Corel. You can get a free trial to get going. They have free live tech support if you have connection issues. There is a new beta version out that I have not tried (Pro 2 I think) but the original is a solid program that works great as long as you have a separate design program. USCutter sells a lifetime dongle at a fair price or you can pay subscription as long as you have internet. 

Your Corel X6 should be fine...I regularly use X3, X4, X5, X6 & X7 on different computers.

They all work fine for designing & vectoring....but, the older versions don't like

newer pdf files and will freeze up when you try to import them.

Sue2

thank you all for the warm welcoming and the tips, they are greatly appreciated.  im sure this will be quite the learning experience to say the least :).

i downloaded the free trial of the new coreldraw to try to get familiar with until the x6 shows up, should be this week along with the vinyl.

Finally got everything up and running, and wow do I have a lot to learn.

copied an image from google, went through the paces in Corel draw, went to cut it, cut right of the side of the vinyl... lol 

second time had no such success 

seems I'll have to play with the origins or figure out how to cut from a corner of the vinyl