Dawn's Design

Question ( its about a CNC )

Maybe this is the right place to ask this. I had a guy today ask me if I could change a vector into a G-Code format. He has a CNC and says it uses G-Code to operate. 

Thanks in advance for your help...

Inkscape has an extension that can do this, although I've not played around with it to know any more than the fact that it exist.

I have created shapes in Inkscape and exported them as .dxf files that a buddy of mine then opened in his CNC software and cut the object for me.

• Like 2

G-Code will be different depending on what machine controller you run it on. A post-processor software is required to convert the XY cutter paths to the G-Code for each specific machine.

Yeah, that's what the extension in Inkscape does, don't know how machine specific it is though. G-Code is a programing language, not a simple file type. It's the base language that most CNC software programs use to control the CNC. Your buddy with the CNC, I would assume has some software that he uses, I can't image he writes the G-Code every time he wants to make something. Find out what his software is and what file types it supports. Inkscape can export to a wide range of file types, it should be able to export to something that he can open with his software.

• Like 3